Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I'm running FC7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop and have had tons of problems with getting my sound to work properly. My latest problem is this: whenever I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audio Device Busy

Hey everyone,

I'm running FC7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop and have had tons of problems with getting my sound to work properly. My latest problem is this: whenever I open up Amarok to play my music, it works just fine. But if I pause it and use any other program to play sound (like listening to music on the internet), then go back to Amarok, it gives me the following error:

"Audio output unavailable; the device is busy.
    xine parameters:"

If I close out the other program that is producing sound, Amarok starts working again. Somehow my computer is only letting one program use the audio drivers at a time.

I'm not sure when this problem started, but it definitely wasn't happening before two or three weeks ago. Any ideas about how to fix it are greatly appreciated!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Configure your apps to use Alsa (each individual app has some sort of dialogue for this). Also if using KDE, run Kcontrol and set alsa as the default sound system.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I've been messing around with this...

when I go through Kcontrol, I change the audio device to ALSA, but it gives me the following error:

"Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    device: default can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

When I go through Amarok and change the output plugin from Autodetect to ALSA, it immediately says:

"xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers."

Any further suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    This means that your sound card is not properly configured/detected. You need to run system-config-soundcard and reconfigure your card.

Just Joined!
    That seems to have done it! I just clicked "rewrite configuration files," and now everything seems to be working properly!

Thanks a lot