Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm currently a windows Vista user but would like to install Fedora Linux also. I have partitioned my hard drive to give me 27.15GB of free space. When installing, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems installing Fedora alongside Vista

Hi,

I'm currently a windows Vista user but would like to install Fedora Linux also. I have partitioned my hard drive to give me 27.15GB of free space. When installing, I selected 'automatically partition' and 'keep all partitions and use existing free space' but I am not able to proceed with the installation as the error message 'could not allocate required partition, could not allocate partition as primary, have not defined a (/) root partition' or wtte. I wonder if anyone could advise me on how to resolve this.

Many thanks

Schuckmate

Just Joined!
    help anyone?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, schuckmate!

Try using the PartedMagic LiveCD to create your partitions using the free space that you have on the drive. It's a small download and quick burn to CD, and is quite easy to use.

Once you have all your partitions created, direct the Fedora installer to utilize those partitions.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Fedora Installer creates three partitions by default and if you have created two Primary partitions already then Installer will not able to create partitions for Fedora.
    Create an Extended Partition and leave free space inside it.
    Fedora defaults to LVM and its a bit tricky to handle LVMs. As ozar suggested already, create partitions before installation. Create two partitions only. 512MB for SWAP and rest of free space for /.
    I would suggest you to create partitions through Vista Partitioning Tool only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Casper... it was my understanding that the latest versions of the PartedMagic LiveCD and the Gparted LiveCD now both support Vista. They have ntfsprogs 2.0.0 which I thought fixed the earlier problems of using them on Vista systems.

Is that not correct?

Edit: I've been doing some research on this matter since posting and can't find a definite answer, and I don't have a Vista box to experiment with, so can't determine the facts on my own.

If anyone knows the answer, please post.

Thank you in advance...
    Last edited by oz; 01-20-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    oz

I have checked PartedMagic CD on Vista machine just now and it works fine.
    No need to use Vista Partitioning Tool now. Thanks oz !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I have checked PartedMagic CD on Vista machine just now and it works fine.
    No need to use Vista Partitioning Tool now. Thanks oz !
    Ah, that's good to know... thanks a bunch for testing it, casper!
    oz