Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
the problem with the solution you may be looking for, is that there are many ways to solve problems on linux, and there really is no BEST linux for doing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

the problem with the solution you may be looking for, is that there are many ways to solve problems on linux, and there really is no BEST linux for doing any one thing. the different "distros" differ usualy only by the base packages they have installed, and the package manager. once things are installed, there is very little diference usualy.

to answer your problem, linux is capable of doing ANYTHING windows does, it's just a matter of has someone programed it yet. I can tell you for sure that it is posible (the lotery vending machines in my state use linux to make an X menu that has obviously locked access to any shell.) i dont know if anything like that is available open source or not, but it is deffinatly posible.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    OK meton_magis, i get your point. Then i will start with one of the linux OS/distro's and see how far i get. Thanks anyway

Just one more question: Can i remote from a windows machine to a X machine if there are one the same network and get IP's from the same DHCP

if your asking can you get SHELL access from windows to linux, google a program called putty, if you want to access an X session from a windows box, it is a bit more complicated, but very posible. i dont remember the programs you'll need, but look up X forwarding, and X emulation on windows, or wait for someone who knows more to post after me.
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    Thanks, i'll wait for another response but investigate your options in the meantime

Hi verynewtolinux. As meton_magis says, there are several ways you can network from Windows to Linux and vice versa. It really depends on how you want to do that. Are you mainly interested in file transfer? Controlling a Linux desktop from a Windows machine? Administering a Linux Machine from Windows? All of these can be done in various ways. Can you focus in a little more on how you envision yourself networking between the two OS's?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    hi, i would like to install linux on a machine but then administrate and made config changes to it from my XP work station through some kind of a remote session like Remote Desk Connection does for windows

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

You can get Red Hat Enterprise Linux here, or you can get Suse Linux Enterprise here.

There are also lots of distributions available for free if you should wish to go that route. Check them out at DistroWatch.

Have fun with Linux.
    Hi guys

I tried the links for redhat and Suse - i thought this is free software. Isn't linux free? Will i pay for every OS that i use. Why then move from M$ if i have to pay for Redhat and Suse also - or is it just cheaper? what about the distro's?

Quote Originally Posted by verynewtolinux View Post
    Hi guys

I tried the links for redhat and Suse - i thought this is free software. Isn't linux free? Will i pay for every OS that i use. Why then move from M$ if i have to pay for Redhat and Suse also - or is it just cheaper? what about the distro's?
    99% of all Linux distributions (and there are thousands, if not millions of them) are free of charge. However some do offer the option for a paid version. You can get free versions of both Redhat and SuSE, but they'll be named something else.

Redhat releases the source code for RHEL, and it is repackaged by CentOS. They are functionally identical but CentOS removes the Redhat logos from certain spots.

Novell has a free desktop called openSuSE, which is not exactly the same thing as SuSE Linux Enterprise but it's similar. You can also download SLED with a trial license that (if I'm not mistaken) won't expire if you're using it non-commercially. It's been a while since I looked at it, so don't quote me on that.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    O, i see - thanks. I will then try one that i find is free.

Quote Originally Posted by verynewtolinux View Post
    hi, i would like to install linux on a machine but then administrate and made config changes to it from my XP work station through some kind of a remote session like Remote Desk Connection does for windows
    if you want to administer your linux box from a command line (which is the best way to REALLY learn linux) then that putty program is all you need. if you want to access the linux gui (called X, or X windows) it is a bit more complex, because windows does not have native suport for this. i googled for it and found this website X over SSH - A Tutorial which looks to be a good summary, but i only skimmed it. you can google X emulator, or X11 forwarding and probably pick up more.

One extra tidbit. The best lesson to learn before getting into linux, is that there is no 1 right way to solve a problem, and you must look into a situation to find out what's best for you. these forums are a great way to pick the brains of others, but we can only tell you how we would do it, not what's best for you.

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2