Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all As you can see from my subject i wanna start learning linux - i'm a system admin in MS. Where is a good point to start. Should i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wanna learn linux

Hi all

As you can see from my subject i wanna start learning linux - i'm a system admin in MS. Where is a good point to start. Should i start with Suse or Redhat or what is the difference between the 2(can i download them from this page). I have NEVER touched Linux before.

Thanks for the help
    Craig

IMO I would recommend a few things.

If you want to learn how to manage servers using the command line get CentOS as it is geared more towards enterprise and a nice free solution to the RHEL level OS.

If you want to use linux as a desktop:

SuSe is good as it has a nice tool called YaST (Yet Another Setup Tool) that makes life easy.
    Fedora Flavor as it is geared more towards Desktop users and also has easy to use GUI's to help manage the machine
    Ubuntu which is also another easy to manage desktop type of OS which has GUI to help manage.

Again, this is my opinion and I hope this helps.
    LINUX - "The other white meat.."
    Registered Linux User #439112

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

You can get Red Hat Enterprise Linux here, or you can get Suse Linux Enterprise here.

There are also lots of distributions available for free if you should wish to go that route. Check them out at DistroWatch.

Have fun with Linux.
    oz

I would suggest getting a spare computer, and making it linux only. I got a computer that was too slow to use XP, but it ran fedora core 5 beautifly. since then i got hooked. I am biased IMO, but I love redhat. Once you learn the difference between M$ and linux, and learn an enterprise linux, you will hate administrating microsoft boxes. I think redhat is the best one to learn on if you REALLY want to learn. ubuntu is great if you want something that's easy and works, and to a lesser extent so is SUSE, but redhat is the best to learn on, that isn't to the extreme of something like gentoo (if you dont know allready, it's probably one of the most indepth mainstream linux distro's.)

if you want to learn linux while still having somethign that is easily useable, go with fedora, if you want something JUST to learn enterprisey stuff, get centOS (redhat enterprise linux, with the logos stripped out.)

my 2 cents anyway.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Hi verynewtolinux and welcome to the forums! Having no prior Linux experience, there is something you need to know:

Many Windows admins and IT types get completely frustrated with Linux because they think they can administer it the same way they are used to doing in Windows. In my experience helping on Linux forums, it is the relatively new and inexperienced computer user who has the easier time learning Linux whereas more experienced Windows users get so completely frustrated that they give up in a short time. Please visit the linked article in my signature and read all of it. It will explain in a very concise manner what you can expect (and not expect) as you explore the wonderful world of Linux. Once you begin your journey, let us help you. There is no problem too large or small that we won't be happy to assist you with. Good luck!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    thank you for all the repsonses guys. i see there is quite a few of options. i'll tell you what i want to do for the beginning and maybe you can direct me more.

At the moment i have a xp pc with media player on it. when the pc boots up the MP starts to play automatically the contents(video clips).the pc is used as a "kiosk". on the one screen of the kiosk is the content playing and the other screen of the kiosk is a "touch screen". this content is locked down by a program once the pc boots up also. can this all be done on a linux machine?

OK, so this in a nutshell is what i want. linux box to boot up. media player to start AUTOMATICALLY playing specific content and a program installed on the box that can lock down the "touch screen".can this be done and if so which OS should i have a go at first of linux

Just Joined!
    thank you dapper dan...that sounds good. by the looks of things linux has a lot to offer

Well, that is a very specific question. If you ask me though, you may not even need to start X for that.

Remember though that, as with a default install of MS, many regular Linux distro's don't come with the multi-media codexes due to legal reasons. You have to add them post-install. How to go about doing this depends on the package manager your distro has and your personal preference herein.

I guess the same applies to touch screen drivers. Look here for starters
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Freston, so any linux OS you can advise that would be a good starting point if i want to do this? i understand the media player part that need to be added seperate and thanks for the link to touch screen drivers...have to start first getting to know the OS of course.

Quote Originally Posted by verynewtolinux
    Freston, so any linux OS you can advise that would be a good starting point if i want to do this? i understand the media player part that need to be added seperate and thanks for the link to touch screen drivers...have to start first getting to know the OS of course.
    Have a look at DistroWatch. Any and all of the top 10 are good options to get started.

Although *checks* the number 11 (CentOS) is a rebranded Red Hat. And the number 12 (Slackware) comes with touch screen settings (commented out) in it's xorg.conf (the configuration file for the X server).
    But I remember CentOS's default install act more like a server than as a desktop. You can tune this, add upon it and change it of course. And Slack's default install we call vanilla Slackware because it isn't anything yet. It installs in 15~20 minutes, but it doesn't do anything. It boots into textual login and leaves you there to figure everything out. You have to manually switch on the services you'd like to run.

So, for an easy approach to the question you have, try to get an install of any of the others from the top 10. Some of them, like Mint and I believe PCLinuxOS come with the codexes. Others may as well. Or if you have your mind set on a Red Hat like distro, you can try CentOS.

So I'd first just get any ol' Linux distro up and running, and build from there.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast