Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, here's my situation in a nutshell. I have a laptop with an outdated version of Ubuntu on it (breezy). Since I need to upgrade anyway, I am going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing operating systems

Okay, here's my situation in a nutshell. I have a laptop with an outdated version of Ubuntu on it (breezy). Since I need to upgrade anyway, I am going to go with Fedora 8. I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Here's the problem though. My laptop dosen't have a cd-rom drive, or a floppy. What I've been trying to figure out is if there is a way to get this install started by setting up Grub to load the kernel from the Fedora cd, and then doing a network install directly from a mirror. No idea if that is possible or even makes sense, but I'm hoping it does. There are several instruction manuals for installing linux from inside windows with GRUB for NT. But there is no information about doing it with linux already installed. Plus, those guides all seem to be suggesting a dual boot situation, which is not what I'm going for here. I want Ubuntu gone entirely.
    If anyone has any ideas on how this might be done, or if it is even possible at all, I would greatly appreciate your input. Until then I'll keep reading and waiting for it to snow (first one of the year ).

Jm

Quote Originally Posted by jgmaddle View Post
    Okay, here's my situation in a nutshell. I have a laptop with an outdated version of Ubuntu on it (breezy). Since I need to upgrade anyway, I am going to go with Fedora 8. I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Here's the problem though. My laptop dosen't have a cd-rom drive, or a floppy.....

Plus, those guides all seem to be suggesting a dual boot situation, which is not what I'm going for here. I want Ubuntu gone entirely.
    If anyone has any ideas on how this might be done, or if it is even possible at all, I would greatly appreciate your input. Until then I'll keep reading and waiting for it to snow (first one of the year ).
    Jm
    What methods do you have to boot the system other than hard disk? if hard disk is the only option I would go for a dual boot and wipe Ubuntu after ... otherwise if you get part way through the install and things go wrong how will you boot your system?

Just Joined!
    I have a flash drive that I might be able to boot from, and I have a external floppy I can use if need be. My big problem is how to get the installation going without the CD/DVD media, and if I can do a full install directly from a dl mirror. Dosen't seem to be a great deal about this out there, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Jm

Quote Originally Posted by jgmaddle View Post
    I have a flash drive that I might be able to boot from, and I have a external floppy I can use if need be. My big problem is how to get the installation going without the CD/DVD media, and if I can do a full install directly from a dl mirror. Dosen't seem to be a great deal about this out there, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Jm
    If you can boot from USB then there does seem to be an option ... Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat
    I've got CD drives so have not really explored the USB options anyway.

Maybe someone else has tried these & can give more info ...

Just Joined!

network install

you should be able to do a network install.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I managed to get it working using unetbootin. Thats the kind of thing I was looking for.

Jm