Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm not new to Windows disk imaging(nortonghost, xxcopy) but I'm new Linux. It seems that imaging is easy in Linux but restoring isn't. I mean not as easy as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    luv
    Just Joined!

Disk Imaging Tool

Hi,

I'm not new to Windows disk imaging(nortonghost, xxcopy) but I'm new Linux. It seems that imaging is easy in Linux but restoring isn't. I mean not as easy as NortonGhost 2003 or NortonGhost 12 which has a support to burn to DVD right away.

Anyway, I know those are for Windows only and quite expensive for me. I've read about Gparted, SystemRescCd, Clonezilla, G4L, partimage on PartedMagic and some which are similar but less reliable because I dont find much information about them. Anyway, can anyone pls guide me on which to use? I have Centos 4.2(and 5.1 in vmware) with ext2 and LVM2.

I noticed that this post hasn't been updated for a long time so I replied to this and there might be experts out there willing to update this posting.

As of this writing, I successfully create an image on Windows 2003(vmware) using PartedMagic because NortonGhost 12 cant do so. I'm trying to restore the file too. I will keep you guys posted...I hope you can help us decide which of these nice tools to use.

Thanks.

(I just noticed this is Suse. I hope it can be moved to RedHat section. Sorry)

::EDIT:: ::Note::
    Moved to RedHat Forum.

Update: (I hope readers would share their experiences on other disk imaging tools. I would visit this posting once in a while to check new stuff. I hope others will benefit too.)
    Last edited by devils casper; 01-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.

oz
    forum.guy
    Check this page for some alternatives.

I use TrueImage because although it was written to be installed on Windows, it works just fine on Linux when run in LiveCD form, and it has never failed me.

One that looks interesting to me is Mondo (see it on the link above), and I've been seriously considering trying it.
    oz

luv
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Check this page for some alternatives.

I use TrueImage because although it was written to be installed on Windows, it works just fine on Linux when run in LiveCD form, and it has never failed me.

One that looks interesting to me is Mondo (see it on the link above), and I've been seriously considering trying it.
    Hi,

Thank you for moving this post.
    TrueImage is really but nice but quite expensive. Mondo is somewhat similar to TrueImage. I read somewhere that it's old versions weren't really free and that they stopped Mondo for quite some time. Now it's back. I hope it's reliable.

I want to use free-open source software as much as possible especially that I'm starting to move some of my server apps to Linux.

Do you have any experience about those software that I mentioned? Clonezilla is really promising. Some even combined it SystemRecuedCD and Gparted.

I need something that works with LVM2 and ext2/ext3. If it works with Windows servers, much better.

Thanks a lot.

CloneZilla LiveCd works for me, but I haven't attempted to restore from it yet, so I can't say it works flawlessly.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    Do you have any experience about those software that I mentioned.
    Sorry, but I don't.

My really old copy of TrueImage has been working so well for so long that I've not gotten around to trying any of those that you mentioned.
    oz