Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have an old PC that I am going to put Fedora 8 on. My question is which version is going to best suit this PC? The motherboard is an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which Fedora do you suggest?

I have an old PC that I am going to put Fedora 8 on. My question is which version is going to best suit this PC? The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X deluxe with an Athlon 3200+ XP processor. I have access to all the versions of Fedora 8, so now the question is which one do I use?

dvd-I386 - is this for Intel CPU's?
    dvd-ppc - is this for Power PC CPU's?
    dvd-x86_64 - is for 64 bit Intel CPU's?

live-i686 - isn't this for AMD cpu's?
    live-KDE-i686 - KDE desktop for AMD cpu's?
    live-KDE-x86_64 - KDE desktop for 64 bit CPU's?
    live-ppc - PPC live disk?
    live-x86_64 - 64 bit Intel live disk?

I understand that the "live" versions allow you to boot the PC without installing Fedora. And that once awake, you can install Fedora from there.

I know that everybody has their opinion about the best distribution, but I'd like to stick with Fedora. I would like some feedback about which flavor of Fedora people recommend.

Thanks for your help.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Well any of the options will work fine. If your CPU is not 64 bit, then do not try to install the x86_64 versions. I personally prefer KDE, so I usually use the live-KDE version or install KDE and other apps from the DVD.

Hello dmhunter,

Your real choices are:

dvd-I386 - Which is for both Intel and AMD 32bit CPUs (like yours
    live-i686 - (again the same)
    live-KDE-i686 - (again the same but with KDE desktop)

So, if I were you I would download dvd-I386 so you will have all the FC in one DVD. If you have any limitations such as bandwidth speed/volume, no empty DVDs or DVD writers then choose between live-i686 and live-KDE-i686, depending on which desktop you want, KDE or Gnome. KDE is more heavy and gives you more graphical control but will run fine on your hardware. Gnome is more lightweight (not MUCH more) and gives you good graphical control but you will need to use your console to do some things.

For a beginner I would suggest KDE.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ive-i686 - isn't this for AMD cpu's?
    live-KDE-i686 - KDE desktop for AMD cpu's?
    live-KDE-x86_64 - KDE desktop for 64 bit CPU's?

Any One u use

DVD-i386, live-i686 and live-KDE-i686 are for 32 bit Intel, AMD, VIA etc CPUs.

Just Joined!

What I really should have asked..

What I really should have asked is if an Athlon 3200 XP is a 64 bit processor. The AMD documentation hints that it is. But I really don't know.

I assume that if I try to install any of the 64 bit versions that it will tell me that my processor is or is not 64 bit. Or will it just cough up a massive hairball when it tries to boot the first time.

I explain my situation. I picked up four Seagate 750 Gb drives and I plan to set them up as a software raid 5 array. This should give me a 2.1 to 2.25 Gb file system. I don't know if that will cause the 32 bit versions any problems. I plan to use this machine as a samba file server and apache host. I really don't want to spend a couple of days getting things set up just to have it die a week or two later after I've started loading files on it.

So can anybody tell me if my Athlon is 64 bit?
    And if it is, should I use the i686 or x86_64 versions?

Sorry about the poor quality of my first question.
    And thanks for all the help I've gotten so far!

You can find out whether your machine is 64 bit or not, by booting from a linux live cd e.g. system-rescue-cd or gparted and enter the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo". Some Althon XP 3000 are 32 bit and some are 64 bit which is confusing at times.

Just Joined!

dvd .iso

you are lucky you have an DVD to install fedora with.

I have an old laptop without dvd support.

So i could not install the dvd media

Just Joined!

cpuinfo

Here is my /proc/cpuinfo
    Nothing jumps out at me stating 32 or 64 bit.
    What am I missing?

processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 6
    model : 10
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
    stepping : 0
    cpu MHz : 2191.266
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
    bogomips : 4384.23
    clflush size : 32

Just Joined!

No DVD

If you don't have a DVD in your laptop, can you boot from USB?
    At that point, you could get an external USB DVD reader/burner.

Can somebody tell me if it is possible to take any of the Fedora 8 ISO images and put them on a 4 Gb UBS drive and boot from that UBS drive?

God, you've got me thinking now - Never, ever a good idea!
    I have a couple of USB hard drives, on PC #1, could I boot from a Fedora image and install on a small USB hard drive ( 6 Gb ). Shut down, unplug the USB hard drive, plug it into PC #2, and then boot PC #2 from that USB hard drive?

That would been neat. And nasty all at once. I can see some real bad things that could happen. I can also see some real good thing coming out of that.

Just like a knife: you can cut up a steak for dinner just as easily as you can skewer that annoying twerp that lives next door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast