Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to try out the SysRq magickeys when my fc4 box kernel panics. How would i make a non lethal kernel panic to test out the MagicKeys?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Making FC4 Kernel Panic.. Tips?

I want to try out the SysRq magickeys when my fc4 box kernel panics. How would i make a non lethal kernel panic to test out the MagicKeys?

Linux Newbie
    Hi there, there is a program called Linux kernel crash dumps - which produces a kernel dump to analyse after a kernel crash, as in kernel panic situation.
    you can get it at:
    SourceForge.net: Linux Kernel Crash Dumps
    And if you go to this link first you can read all about it and see if it is what you want.
    LKCD - Linux Kernel Crash Dump

Just Joined!

Thats great... but..

That software looks interesting, but i dont see how it can create a kernel panic to test the MagicKeys. I need to make my FC4 box kernel panic so i can try out a remote reboot procedure with this.. thanks.

Linux Newbie
    Hi, Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you - you my already have found this - this is why I suggested it.

To force a panic to test you new crash setup, compile the following code with cc -c -I/usr/src/linux/include panic.c . After building the panic.o module just insmod panic.o to panic the kernel.

### panic.c ###########################

#define __KERNEL__
    # MODULE

# include init_module(void)

int init_module (void)
    {
    panic(" panic has been called");
    return 0;
    }

I was thinking you maybe able to use this in conjunction so you can create panic's and still recover OK.

The link to this is: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO...ash-HOWTO.html

wowbag1