Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi everyone, I'm on my way to escaping from windows-land. Fedora 8 is on my other partition, but I've run into a snag. On the first start-up screen, Fedora asks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 8 bug?--First install crashes at Set Date/Time

Hi everyone,

I'm on my way to escaping from windows-land. Fedora 8 is on my other partition, but I've run into a snag. On the first start-up screen, Fedora asks me to set the system data and time. When I click next on the lower right screen, the screen freezes and I can't move my mouse. I'm looking over at the procedure list and the next one after date/time is the hardware profile. I haven't really let the computer freeze itself for more than ten minutes or so.

I have an hp tx1210 laptop, and I'm hoping that there are no hardware issues that prevent me from using the fedora stuff. Is there anyone that can suggest what's going on or how I get out of this freeze?

Much appreciated,

Matt

Hi and Welcome !

It looks like Graphics Card problem only. Which Graphics Card do you have? Post your machine's specs here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Okay, here goes...

HP Pavilion tx1210
    AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58
    2.0 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (video driver)
    Built in Webcam
    HP Integrated Bluetooth Module
    Broadcom 4321AG 802.11 a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi
    Fingerprint Reader (what a joke!)
    PS/2 Port Touchpad
    nVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    nVIDIA n Force Networking Controller

HP Quicklaunch buttons

That should be enough. Let met know if you need some more info on this computer.

Matt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool Same problem

Hi,

I have a HP laptop (DV6240eu) with the same GFX card, which by the way has prooven to be a crappy card. Nevertheless, I get the same problem installing my Fedora as well. I also tried running live ubuntu, linux mint, debian etc. The all freezed during the loading of the live desktop environment. They just gave black screens with no computer activity.

And yes, I had the same problem in fedora as you have, and am really curious on how to get past that point. It seems like a hardware problem, anybody any thoughts?

Just Joined!
    Ah, it appears that This Guy(http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red...ion-guide.html)
    might have the answer to my problems. I have some reading to do tonight!

Matt

Just Joined!
    Okay, so I read what the blogs had to say, and it recommends installing Livna and using that to install either the "nv" driver, which is the open source version, or the nvidia driver, which i'm assuming it's not the open source version.

So I have two questions.

Where do you enter all these commands in if you can't get into the operating system in the first place? Is it one of the options when you are in the GRUB? (e.g. 'e' to edit commands before booting, 'c' for command-line).

My second question is which driver do you recommend installing, the open source driver or the nvidia driver?

Thanks,

Matt

You can boot up in Command line mode by appending kernel line with 3 in GRUB.

I would suggest you to install Nvidia proprietary driver. Download it from Nvidia site.

Just Joined!
    Hey Casper,

Thanks for your suggestions on fixing my problem. You probably noticed that I double posted on the problem of getting into the command-line, and I didn't mean to ignore your last response...sorry for that and you posted exactly what daark.child did. I'm learning tho .

When taking a look at the kernel, I removed the "RGHB quiet" addition and replaced it with 3, which killed the startup menu and now I'm able to get into Fedora nicely. So, maybe it was a graphical problem, but maybe the graphical problem is with the RGHB start up GUI and not the Fedora OS.

Who knows? Maybe in a couple months I'll be Linux literate enough to figure that one out.

Thanks!

Matt

Glad to help you ! It looks like problem is coz of rhgb and quiet only. A lot of other users reported that removing rhgb worked for them too.
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.

Just Joined!

Red face

Hmmm..., I'm lost, i found the rhgb quiet part replaced it with 3, then it loaded itself and i got a menu, but it was a text style menu to change settings and stuff. But i still haven't got to run fedora.

Could u post a guide what you did excatly to get it running.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast