Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Recently, I am experiencing a problem with logging into FC8. After typing in the password and pressing enter, for a moment it seems that everything is going normally(wallpaper & ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Problems with logging in. FC8

Hello,

Recently, I am experiencing a problem with logging into FC8.
    After typing in the password and pressing enter, for a moment it seems that everything is going normally(wallpaper & panels appear), but it suddenly logs off.. And it's the same story everytime I try to login(no matter which kernel I have booted)..
    Console mode login works just fine(ctrl+alt+f1)
    BTW it first happend when I was trying out the QUCS project, but I am not sure if that actually caused this problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions, at least where to start looking at...

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, hexogenn!

I don't know if this will work to fix this issue or not, but it's worth a try.

Log into the console as regular user and rename your hidden gnome folders like this:

Code:
    mv .gnome .gnomeOLD
    Use the same command to rename each of the following folders:

.gnome
    .gnome2
    .gconf
    .gconfd
    .metacity

...then try logging into the GUI. All those folders should rebuild themselves giving you a totally fresh start with Gnome.

If it works, you can reclaim any needed data from the OLD folders before deleting them. If it doesn't work, you can reverse the command above to rename the OLD folders back to their original names and be no worse off than you are now.

Hope it helps.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    First of all, thanks for the welcome, ozar!

Unfortunatelly, your method did not work.. gnome still keeps logging me off. But directories were not rebuilt, neither after trying to log in nor rebooting. Maybe this reduces the searchspace of the problem somehow?

oz
    forum.guy
    It might be an xserver problem of some type but it sounds like the xserver is starting since you see wallpapers and panels before it stops working.

If you run ls -a from the command line, does it show the directories mentioned above as renamed to OLD?

Also, I don't run Fedora so can't test it locally, but does it offer a safe mode for booting?

In the interim, maybe someone running Fedora will pop in here with some clues about a fix.
    oz

ls -a shows all mentioned directories nicely renamed (i actually renamed them to .gnomeO; gnome2O etc. but i guess it doesn't really matter ?)
    I am not sure if adding -single to the kernel options(GRUB) is the Fedoras safe mode, but i've seen it somewhere as a suggestion...

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I don't think your renaming scheme should cause any problem with the folders rebuild effort.

You might take a look around in your log files in /var/log/ to see if there are any clues being provided as to what is causing this failure.
    oz

At last... Difficult problems - simple solutions
    Reinstalling nVidia drivers fixed the problem. But it's still obscure what caused all this mess..

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, ozar!

oz
    forum.guy
    That's great news... glad you are up and running!

Don't hesitate to post new threads with any new questions.
    oz