Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a doofus. At the present moment, I'm trying to install drivers for my NVIDIA graphics chipset. I can't get farther in Fedora 8 than the set date/time step of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB Command Line?

I'm a doofus. At the present moment, I'm trying to install drivers for my NVIDIA graphics chipset. I can't get farther in Fedora 8 than the set date/time step of the first boot, so I need a way to install from a command line.

When I first start up my computer, I quickly proceed to the GRUB menu, and press 'c' for command line. The command line that appears is this:

grub>

When I punch up 'help', I get a bunch of commands that don't register to me, and nothing that lets me into the DVD drive or any file system for that matter.

So is this the right place, or do I need to be somewhere else when I try to install the drivers?

Thanks!

Matt

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    To install drivers in text mode, you need to boot into runlevel 3. You can do this using the instruction on this page.

Just Joined!
    Well, I did as you said, only with a modification.

After what looks to be the part that stays, there is a "rhgb quiet" line after the main kernel line. I recorded this information because I replaced that line with 3, and not merely just added it.

And quite unexpectedly, I'm in the GUI of the root user, having somehow gone around the first startup menu that freezes me.

So I'm curious as to what actually happened and why the computer is not recommending that I'm in this mode (probably because of the 3 part), and what the rhgb quiet line actually does.

Curiously, the NTFS partition that holds my VISTA OS is visible to Fedora too, which is a bit unsettling, but maybe not.

Matt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    NTFS partitions are visible on most Linux distros because they ship with the ntfs-3g module that supports ntfs filesystems. Its nothing to worry about and can be quite useful if you need to access your Windows files from within Linux. RHGB means redhat graphical boot. It provides a mechanism for booting with a nifty gui instead of the scrolling text. If removing this line solves your problem then cool. Appending 3 to then end of the kernel line, boots into runlevel 3 which is text mode.