Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am currently trying to learn Linux. But there is a mayor problem. I can't seem to get it installed. I tried several things. First off ubunu live, linuxmint ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Multiple distro problem

Hello,

I am currently trying to learn Linux. But there is a mayor problem. I can't seem to get it installed. I tried several things. First off ubunu live, linuxmint live, deban / debian live. They all freeze when they are about to switch from the boot part with the text to the GUI part (X or what it is called). It just shows me a black screen and the computer doesn't seem to respond. Then I tried Fedora, and that live CD booted well, I came to the GNOME desktop, and clicked install. The install went fine, and when I rebooted the computer, the configuration started. It all went along fine until I was finished with the date and time part. The computer froze when it tried to jump to hardware profile. The cursor hung and no computer activity. Kept it on for hours, nothing happended. I saw another person having the same gfx card (GeForce Go 6150) having the same problem. Can it be the card messing up? The laptop is a HP DV6240eu. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello hmyraune

Installing Linux on laptops can be tricky, I am sure if you try to run it on a desktop it will run with no problems.

It seems to me that this is a kernel thing rather than the graphics card, which I had in my HP laptop and drove me into many sleepless nights until I found the problem. So, this is my suggestion:

Try to pass the "noapic" or even "nolapic" parameter to kernel when it boots. If your boot loader is GRUB, just press 'e' and at the end of the line add the "noapic" (try "nolapic" only if "noapic" doesn't work). In most distributions, in their installer you get the option to pass parameters to your kernel, usualy by pressing F3 or F4 or something like that. Give it a try...

NOTE: For those who are interested what "noapic" and "nolapic" stand for is "no advanced programmable interrupt controller" and "no low advanced origrammable interrupt controller" and it seems like it is buggy in some SMP kernels after 2.6.9 or even the motherboard doesn't support it.

I saw another person having the same gfx card (GeForce Go 6150) having the same problem. Can it be the card messing up? The laptop is a HP DV6240eu. Any help is appreciated.
    Its a Graphics Card problem only. Try text installer of any distro. Its easy to fix Graphics Card problem after installation and text installer is very user friendly.
    I would suggest you to try Ubuntu Alternate Installation CD.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks to both of you. So lets say I try both. But I have one question about the last suggestion. What do I do to fix the graphics card problem after I install an os. I managed to install debian with the text installer completely. And got past GRUB, and just about when it launches X, everything freezes. Can I try the noapic option here as well? Is that a permanent solution, or do you have an lead up to what you suggested?

Thanks!

If your freezes are random then this sounds very much alike the problems I had. If your freezes happen when X starts, then there is a good chance it is due to your graphics card.

To try the "noapic" fix I suggest, boot your system and in the GRUB screen highlight the kernel you want, press "e" and add the "noapic" (without the quotes) at the end of your kernal line. Then (if I remember) correct press Esc and 'b' to boot. If that works first time, try 3-4 times more, doing the same thing to make sure that was the problem. If it works everytime, then go to /boot/grub/grub.conf (you need to do this as root) and add the "noapic" at the end of your "kernel" line so you don't have to go through this everytime you boot.

Let us know what is happening anyway.

I suggest not to try both our solutions at the same time. Choose whichever you want first, and give it a go (make sure you keep backups of ANY file you change, and make a list of all these files!!!). If the solution doesn't work, just go back to your files and replace them with the originals.

Good luck!

Thanks to both of you. So lets say I try both. But I have one question about the last suggestion. What do I do to fix the graphics card problem after I install an os. I managed to install debian with the text installer completely. And got past GRUB, and just about when it launches X, everything freezes.
    Boot up in Single User Mode and execute this
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Re-configure Graphics Card and reboot machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First