Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed rhel5 with a custom install, now whenever i try to install any package it gives me a number of errors of failed dependencies, now most of these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yum-like installer for offline installation frm rhel cds

I have installed rhel5 with a custom install, now whenever i try to install any package it gives me a number of errors of failed dependencies, now most of these dependencies exist on my rhel5 cds, i would like to know if there is a way to install packages , wherin i would be prompted for a missing rpm and once i insert the cd the application searches for the rpm in the cd and install it automatically.

PS:I am not looking for an internet based installer like yum, but an offline one (assuming here that i have all the packages on cds)

also

is there anyway i can go back to the install screen wherin it asks me default install or custom install of softwares? without re-installing the os ofcourse!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can use YUM with your discs. Search on the web for "fedora+yum+dvd" and "fedora+yum+cd". You will find several articles that may help you.

Just Joined!
    "is there anyway i can go back to the install screen wherin it asks me default install or custom install of softwares? without re-installing the os ofcourse!"

Is this possible? wherin i get an enitre listing of packaes available for install via a gui interface?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Once you have made you package selection and installed the system, you can't go back to the package selection screen. If you really want to install from the discs, then setup a local yum repository.