Find the answer to your Linux question:
My computer has on it Fedora 3, Fedora 7 and Windows XP. I use a Windows application, Bootpart, to choose which OS to boot up. If I choose none, Fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"filesystem type unknown" error in grub

My computer has on it Fedora 3, Fedora 7 and Windows XP. I use a Windows application, Bootpart, to choose which OS to boot up. If I choose none, Fedora 7 boots up by default.

Yesterday, I powered up, did nothing when Bootpart ran and was shunted to grub. However, it didn't run normally. All I got was the grub prompt.

I rebooted, chose Fedora 3 when Bootpart ran and the same thing happened--the grub prompt only.

I have 2 internal hard drives. The first is for Windows. The second is for Linux and has two partitions.

Following instructions in Carla Schroder, Linux Cookbook, I entered at the grub prompt after choosing Fedora 3 in Bootpart: "root (hd1" and hit Tab. I got:

"Possible partitions are:
    Partition num: 0, Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0x7
    Partition num: 1, Filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0xc"

I then entered "root (hd1,0)" and got the same result as above for partition 0. I next entered "kernel /boot/vmlinuz" and hit Tab.

I got error 17, cannot mount selected partition.

I shut everything down and rebooted with a DSL live cd. I ran fdisk and was told that the first partition on the second drive was of filesystem type HPFS/NTFS and the second partition on the second drive was of filesystem type Win95 FAT32 (LBA).

I next tried to mount from DSL the first partition on the second drive. That worked. It had in it the grub directory for Fedora 3, as well as other files appropriate to Fedora 3.

I next tried to mount from DSL the second partition on the second drive, but it refused to mount.

It seems to me that something has played havoc with the filesystem types of both partitions on the second drive. My recollection is that they were both ext2.

Finally, my question. Is there any way I can make the two partitions of filesystem type ext2 again without destroying the data on those partitions?

Thanks for reading this,

Leslie

Finally, my question. Is there any way I can make the two partitions of filesystem type ext2 again without destroying the data on those partitions?
    Download TestDisk and boot up from DSL. Execute testdisk script. It will recover partition table with correct filesystem type.
    Or Download PartedMagic LiveCD. Testdisk is available in PartedMagic CD and its really easy to use it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much for your reply, devils_casper.

I have the latest version of SystemRescueCD. I just checked and it appears to have the latest version of TestDisk on it, so I could use TestDisk that way.

Since my original post, I recalled that I had somewhere on my system an .iso that I'd created by using MondoRescue. I was able to get to the .iso. I don't know whether in it there's a copy of my partition table that I could use. I think I'd better read up on both TestDisk and MondoRescue before proceeding.

I'm very nervous about all this!

Thanks again,

Leslie

I have never used MondoRescue but I have used TestDisk several times. Its very easy to recover partitions through TestDisk.

Just Joined!
    devils_casper, thanks again for pointing me to TestDisk. It worked as advertised and I now have everything back to normal.

Glad to help you lesliek !!
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.