Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks Casper for your suggestions. I followed them to the letter, but the problem persists. The kernel boots, then displays 'Red Hat nash v6.0.19 starting'. Then the machine displays 'Setting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thanks Casper for your suggestions. I followed them to the letter, but the problem persists. The kernel boots, then displays 'Red Hat nash v6.0.19 starting'. Then the machine displays 'Setting clock [OK]', followed by 'Starting udev' - at which point it either simply reboots, or throws and displays a GPF and then reboots. I've watched it cycle through this for the last hour, hoping it would 'magically' see sense. I'd like to use the rescue mode on the install disk, but I've no idea what to do or what to look for when I get in.
    Boot up in Command Line mode and try "vesa" driver instead of nvidia.
    Execute this too
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by unix_box666
    what about ati radeon cards? anaconda wont boot up with ati radeon 1650 512DDR2 E-PCI during a new installation
    Install Fedora in Text Mode. Download ATI driver from its Website and install it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

FC8 not completing boot

Hi
    Do you know how to set up your internet in text mode so that you can download the driver, maybe someone can help here, I'm unfamiliar with that process but suspect that you need to edit /etc/wvdial.conf in text mode.
    Actually text mode is not so scary once you get accustomed to it.

You may also want to cd /var/log; clear; ls to have a look at /var/log/messages, /var/log boot.log, /var/log/dmesg, etc - some of these are very long files but with vi you can scroll up and down.
    Boot in Linux Rescue from the dvd or cd and cd to /var/log and then vi messages and vi the other logs each in turn. ,to exit vi use [esc q]

A trick I have used is to vi the logs boot, dmesg, messages, etc and delete all the lines in each so the file is empty, and delete all the boot.logs numbered after the first then do a reboot. This way I have only the latest and last boot up information.

It definitely looks like a video card problem.
    Keep smiling, keep trying.

Another thing, I have also had a boot problem because of a dud floppy drive which I have unplugged. I think that was a machine bios problem not a linux bios problem but don't know.
    Hovergo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2