Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hmmm, I am having a nightmare of a time with fc8. When I boot it continually cycles through to the login screen, then reboots to the login screen, then reboots... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora core 8 unusable

Hmmm, I am having a nightmare of a time with fc8. When I boot it continually cycles through to the login screen, then reboots to the login screen, then reboots...

Any ideas please?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_cooke View Post
    Hmmm, I am having a nightmare of a time with fc8. When I boot it continually cycles through to the login screen, then reboots to the login screen, then reboots...

Any ideas please?
    Your /etc/inittab entry isn't set to runlevel 6 is it?
    need more info such as when it started and what was the last thing you touched before it started occuring.

Just Joined!
    No - inittab is set to 5. This has been occuring from the very first install on all new hardware. I am absolutely at the end of my tether with this. the last thing I touched was the ON button - but that's not what you meant. Please, I need more information from you - what could possibly cause such behaviour on a FRESH install? I thought that upgrading using yum might have fixed the problem - nope, unchanged.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sounds like a problem I had today. (hope this helps)

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf was not providing the correct driver for the monitor. I had foolishly installed the livna drivers for nvidia and it messed everything up. So I'm thinking maybe your install detection did not find the correct monitor or video card and put the incorrect driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I booted to the installation disk -- linux rescue -- and then edited files in text mode.
    I had to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    (I hope you know how to use vim in text mode)

The part at the bottom has:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    Driver "intel"
    EndSection
    (( I had Driver "nvidia" and that wrecked my boot))

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Videocard0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Just Joined!
    Hovergo, thanks. I have 'nv' as the driver in xorg.conf. 'nvidia' was placed in that position by the proprietary Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site when I installed them. I had to do as you did as well...remove the nvidia driver and replace with nv.

This, however, did not stop the random reboots for no reason, nor has it stopped the continual cycling through the boot sequence. I have absolutely no idea what is causing these issues. All I can say at the moment is that it looks like Fc8 is critically unstable. I don't believe my hardware is all that unique that it would cause such issues... I stand to be corrected though.

Just Joined!
    ...and just as I finished typing the last message the machine rebooted again!

First of all, install Livna Repository
    Code:
    rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
    rpm –import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
    Install Nvidia Driver
    Code:
    su -
    yum -y install kmod-nvidia
    init 3
    nvidia-config-display enable
    Reboot machine. It should sort out problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    First of all, install Livna Repository
    Code:
    rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
    rpm –import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY
    Install Nvidia Driver
    Code:
    su -
    yum -y install kmod-nvidia
    init 3
    nvidia-config-display enable
    Reboot machine. It should sort out problem.
    what about ati radeon cards? anaconda wont boot up with ati radeon 1650 512DDR2 E-PCI during a new installation

Just Joined!
    Thanks Casper for your suggestions. I followed them to the letter, but the problem persists. The kernel boots, then displays 'Red Hat nash v6.0.19 starting'. Then the machine displays 'Setting clock [OK]', followed by 'Starting udev' - at which point it either simply reboots, or throws and displays a GPF and then reboots. I've watched it cycle through this for the last hour, hoping it would 'magically' see sense. I'd like to use the rescue mode on the install disk, but I've no idea what to do or what to look for when I get in.

Just Joined!

FC8 rebooting / maybe nvidia

I believe that the problem is not FC8 specific, rather I think it is nvidia specific.
    I originally had the nvidia problem in RH9 then in FC4, then 6 and now 8
    I don't know if you can replace the "nv" with "VGA", that is what I had to do way back then and have not used the nvidia video card until this weekend when I again got the problems.
    Are you using a desktop and does your motherboard have on board graphics.
    Mine does and that is the only way I can use FC6 and 8 with no problems.

In FC4 I spent a few weeks on the problem and got it working but Blender had only half the animation capability so I removed the nvidia card.

Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast