Find the answer to your Linux question:
I been running fc5 since the day it was released and its running as my DNS server SMTP server, SMB server, and my httpd server and compiled a new kernel ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Any reasons to upgrade FC5

I been running fc5 since the day it was released and its running as my DNS server SMTP server, SMB server, and my httpd server and compiled a new kernel for it (2.6.23.1) I was just wondering if i should go ahead and update to fc8. fc5 is working great and im kinda lazy to force an update to fc8 unless i got to. Any suggestions or input??

Thanks

You'll get varying suggestions on this. I'm streaming audio with Slackware 10.1 and 2.4 kernel. It's been running great for years so I guess I'm from the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school. I'd say if you are happy with its performance, leave it be unless there are severe security issues that need addressing or updating.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I agree with Dapper Dan but there is only one drawback. Fedora Core 5 is not supported by Fedora Team now and you wont get any security updates.
    If you dont care about that then there is no need to upgrade.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I also believe that if it ain't broke then don't fix it (although I break that rule quite a lot). If you need a good server OS that is more stable and supported for longer periods then I suggest you go with CentOS.

Just Joined!
    THank you very much all of you for your feedback, I will probably just update to the next version fc6 before anything, security is a big issue always and not something to be camping around.

I pretty much figured the diffrence between older distro and a new release distro is the newest kernel at the time amd more packages being included into the newer distro, I was thinking as long as i can update my kernel to the newest, test the kernel out and have a backup kernel incase it fails i would be good i guess.

as for FC8 im not sure i would like KDE4, i like classic linux heh heh, berly is nice to run ontop of gnome or kde3 but i just dont really like the kde4, at least until i get use to it.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I don't think you should bother upgrading to Fedora Core 6 because it reached its end of life last year, so there are no more updates and support just like Fedora Core 5.

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are happy with your current system, don't upgrade unless you are having an urge to experiment with the so-called latest and greatest.
    oz

If you want a RH-like OS that you can set up and leave alone for years (apart from security updates) then move to CentOS. Fedora is a rapid-release distro by design.