Find the answer to your Linux question:
After updating to most recent kernel (2.6.23.14-107) along with updating kmod-fglrx (8.443.1-2.7.12) from livna, I cannot any longer set my external display to its native resolution (1440 x 1024). I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Native screen resolution?

After updating to most recent kernel (2.6.23.14-107) along with updating kmod-fglrx (8.443.1-2.7.12) from livna, I cannot any longer set my external display to its native resolution (1440 x 1024). I am on Mobility Radeon 9600 M10 laptop. System->Preferences->Hardware->Screen resolution has 1280 x 1024 as its maximum resolution. I tried to play with xorg.conf adding a "Monitor" section for the external display forcing its resolution to 1440 x 1024, but got a totally blank screen when rebooting instead of the log-in screen.

What is preventing moving to the native resolution? This is becoming critical as my eyes start hearting.

Thanks for any tips.

Have you enabled fglrx-config-display?
    Code:
    init 3
    fglrx-config-display enable
    Reboot machine.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Applying the above code resulted in "Driver already enabled" and no change in the screen resolution problem. By the way, init is under /sbin/init and will change the your run level (go back to console). fglrx-config-display is under /usr/sbin/fglrx-config-display.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    By the way, init is under /sbin/init and will change the your run level (go back to console). fglrx-config-display is under /usr/sbin/fglrx-config-display
    If you login as root then there is no need to type /usr/sbin or /sbin before those commands.
    Execute this
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep driver
    lspci | grep VGA
    Post output here.

Just Joined!
    Here is the output. Before that, I came accross another thread dealing with a similar problem. It seems there is a problem in the fglrx driver.

FedoraForum.org - FGLRX driver missing higher resolutions

"cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep driver" yields nothing.

"lspci | grep VGA":

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

Post the contents of xorg.conf file here.