Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am running Fedora 7 and have 2 kernel versions. The newer of them is giving me a few problems; when i use the older version, i can work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is it safe to delete a kernel version?

Hi,

I am running Fedora 7 and have 2 kernel versions. The newer of them is giving me a few problems; when i use the older version, i can work fine. To delete the newer version, is it a matter of booting into the older version, deleting the folder containing the new version in /usr/src/kernels and removing the lines from the grub configuration file?
    I am pretty sure that this will work, but would like to have it confirmed before messing with it for the first time.

Thanks,
    tim

Hi and Welcome !

I would suggest you to boot up using older kernel and un-install newer kernel using Yum only.
    Newer kernel should work better that earlier. What problems are you getting with it?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help. the problem is Wifi, and making it work took a lot of configuring and testing, so i just prefer to work with the older version.

with yum, is it ok to remove the newer version? I could only find information about removing older versions, so i don't know if people use it for the latest version.

thanks again,
    tim

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you do not need a kernel you can do the following
    Code:
    #rpm -qa | grep -i kernel
    That will show you the list of kernels (and other kernel related packages you do not need). To uninstall the one/s you do not need, do
    Code:
    #rpm -e kernel-VERSION
    To make sure that the kernel does not get upgraded to the latest one when you update your system using yum, edit /etc/yum.conf and add
    Code:
    exclude=kernel*

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that - much appreciated, I will try that.

Tim