Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, im downloading Fedora atm but i have a question i kinda have already wasted 7 good cd's trying to get linux working after burning the ISO's to the cd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora install (how many CD's?)

Ok, im downloading Fedora atm but i have a question

i kinda have already wasted 7 good cd's trying to get linux working after burning the ISO's to the cd rather than imaging them and i dont want to use 4 more cd's on something that might not work, here is my question

can i just burn cd 1 and download everything else using HTTP or that up2date thing that comes with redhat and fedora? im guesing that cd one is the OS and cd 2, 3 and 4 are jus packages and extras

what do i need to do?

Oxygen, not much of a n00b anymore
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

yeah, some distroswill let you do an ftp install, as the installation needs a file, it finds it online and dl's it, then installes. Most distros that have one also have a comprehensive guide on how to do it. im not sure if fedora offers it, but the more advanced distros tend to (ie slackware, gentoo, debian etc)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    the first 3 cds are needed for installing the os, as the browsers and maybe KDE and Gnome are on cd 2 or 3. find out what the ISO's were made wiith and use that to write them to cd this usallly works best. or if you could you can find someone local to you who will write them to cd for you. or already has copies that they are willing to make more copies for you.

other than that I wouldn't think that you can install from cd one only. to my knowledge which is not great, if using just the first cd then you will probably only have a text interface and wont be able to do much unless you are a guru and can download the stuff you need using the text interface. and also knowing how to install everything,

i also are still learning how to use linux, and have just installed red hat 9 on my mates computer and have so far got the internet working and upgraded browsers and trying unsucsessfully to install my videa drivers. so i am stuck with 800x600, which sucks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    what card is it? redhat 8 recodnizes my GeForce 2 MX (old i know, but im broke)

but back on topic, i have no problem with burning 4 ISO's but i just kinda want to not waste another 4 cd's
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

yeah, you can its not that hard, many prefer it, but i don't know if fedora supports it, you have to browse their site a little.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

you need to find some cheaper cd's

I get em for free with rebates at best buy

Just Joined!
    look at the post in this thread called installin ATI Radeon 9200, thats the card, and im annoyed at the dumb screen resouloution. i need more desktop space.

Linux User
    2 things to check and a litle tip

1, are you copying the iso file onto the CD as a data disk? if you are thats your prob for example if you use nero 6

click on back up and then on burn image to disk

a dialog box should apear navigate to where you have saved the iso files one in that folder go to the bottem of the dialog box and click on file types and then click on iso then your iso files should apear and double click on the one you want to burn

2, what version are you trying to download?

ie are you downloading a ppc version when your machine is a i386

most people use a i386 based system

3, (the little tip) insted of burning all the cd's just try burning the first cd and see if it works if not you are only wasting 1 disk insted of 3 or 4

i am sorry if you already know this but hey some times its the simple thing that you dont think of!

like me im always trying to boil a kettle when it ist switched on at the wall lol

Just Joined!
    Also just a little tip you actually only need the first two discs to install fedora to get it up and running. The third one just has a lot of extra things on it.

Just Joined!
    If you have a DVD-RW drive your lucky, you only need one disk. Go to http://www.fedora.redhat.com and look for DVD at the end of the filename (either on a mirror or from Red Hat)

The file is 4 gigs, so it will require that much free space on your hard drive, and you will need alot of time.

As for the comment made by blue dragon. I think it depends on what you plan to do with linux, Personal Deskop only needs the first two discs.... but i think workstation and server might require the others... to e safe i would go ahead a burn all four... if you really cant spare the CDs then go get some dirt cheap CDs (like a spindle of 25 no name CDs)