Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum as I am new to Linux. I am taking a class currently at college as I am working toward my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Driver Help

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum as I am new to Linux. I am taking a class currently at college as I am working toward my computer networking degree. I have installed Fedora Core 7 and do not have Internet access to my computer. So I bought a wireless adapter, Netgear- rangemax wireless usb 2.0 adapter, WPN111. The only driver that came with it is for Windows, of course and I was wondering if any new a driver that would be compatible with this device? Or is there a way to convert a DOS/Windows executable driver( the one that I currently have) to a format the I could use with Fedora?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this thread for installing ndiswrapper to get your wireless working.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok. not so good yet. I downloaded the file: ndiswrapper-1.51-15.fc7.i386.rpm. As I double click the file, it started to install packages. I click apply to install, it retrieves software information and starts to resolve dependencies and then returns an error resolving dependencies. In the details, it says: Missing Dependency: ndiswrapper-kmdl-1.51-15.fc7 is needed by package ndiswrapper. So I entered terminal and logged on as root and tried to run the command ndiswrapper -i /tmp/autorun.inf, since I copy the autorun.inf file to the /tmp folder on filesystem. I believe that I have the commands correct but am not positive. I also tried the command yum -y install ndiswrapper (cause I found it on the Internet, but don't know what this command does. Thought I would try it) The response was:

Loading :installonlyn" plugin
    Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2890. Aborting. Can anyone tell what I might be doing wrong. I tried to download multiple versions of ndiswrapper, but the all kept coming up with dependency errors. Thank you all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryntotechit View Post
    Ok. not so good yet. I downloaded the file: ndiswrapper-1.51-15.fc7.i386.rpm. As I double click the file, it started to install packages. I click apply to install, it retrieves software information and starts to resolve dependencies and then returns an error resolving dependencies. In the details, it says: Missing Dependency: ndiswrapper-kmdl-1.51-15.fc7 is needed by package ndiswrapper. So I entered terminal and logged on as root and tried to run the command ndiswrapper -i /tmp/autorun.inf, since I copy the autorun.inf file to the /tmp folder on filesystem. I believe that I have the commands correct but am not positive. I also tried the command yum -y install ndiswrapper (cause I found it on the Internet, but don't know what this command does. Thought I would try it) The response was:

Loading :installonlyn" plugin
    Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 2890. Aborting. Can anyone tell what I might be doing wrong. I tried to download multiple versions of ndiswrapper, but the all kept coming up with dependency errors. Thank you all.
    I have no knowledge of using wireless on linux..
    But the later problem can be fixed.
    Fedora runs an auto update daemon..
    Since YUM is the base installer application for all packages it locks it until it gets all update information and throws a update notification, if available.
    When you type: cat /var/run/yum.pid you will see the process number of the active yum.

When you type: ps -ef , as root, you will see a list of all processes running on your linux machine.

To stop the process that locks yum.. type: kill <process number> (The one you found in the /var/run/yum.pid)
    The recheck with ps -ef | grep <process number> to see if it's gone..
    Run the kill command as the user root ofcourse

If it is.. check that the yum.pid file is also gone.. if not and the process is no longer available.. remove it.
    Be carefull when using the rm command when you are logged in as the user: root
    Things you remove as root are permanently gone...

You should now be able to run yum.

Good luck...
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.