Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm running FC7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and having a really frustrating problem. I used to be able to watch DVDs. Recently, it's fine when I start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Libdvdcss Problem

Hi everyone,

I'm running FC7 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and having a really frustrating problem. I used to be able to watch DVDs. Recently, it's fine when I start watching the movie, but anywhere from 10 minutes through to more than halfway through the movie, I get the classic error message about the dvd being encrypted, or my computer not having libdvdcss.

I'm pretty sure I have all the libraries installed, and I've tried this in totem, vlc, xine, you name it, and it still gives me the error. It's annoying because this just started happening all of a sudden.

Any suggestions as to what could fix this?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Ok my initial solution pre-edit was to install lindvd which appeared to quit on me a few minutes after starting. I figured that I had a similar bug with dvd playback. I was wrong, this was actully a result of the rpm file not installing the license library in the proper location.

So head to FedoraForum.org - LinDVD for Fedora

Again check page 2 or 3 for the latest rpm for your architecture and install it as root. Next open a terminal and write:

su
    cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    ldconfig

that moves the license file to the proper place and the player should work.

Just Joined!
    Hi, thanks for the response!

I installed linDVD, but unfortunately the program malfunctions at the same point in the movie as any of the other media players did. I don't think this has to do with what program I'm playing the movie in, but rather with the libraries all the players are accessing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    LinDVD is proprietary it doesn't access any other libraries. (libdvdcss that other players claimed to have a problem with)

It's possible that you may have installed or uninstalled something else that is giving you issues. You could re-install all your players and codecs...but...

Another hypothesis is that your optical drive is starting to fail. A few DVD's have a VBR (variable bit rate) feature on them. If the trouble spots in the disc are area's where the bit rate has increased your drive might be failing mechanically (not seeking fast enough). This would overrun the buffer and feed the player an incomplete stream of data which it could translate as an encryption error.

If you have access to an external DVD drive, set the player a few minutes before the spot your having a problem with and see if it can get past it. If it can you have a bad drive. You might also be able to rig up the DVD to play on another networked computers drive? Max DVD rate is only about 10mbps.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, the DVDs are all able to play on other DVD players, as I usually end up finishing them on the computer in my basement.

That explanation makes a lot of sense, as the problem occurs at random points throughout different DVDs, and sometimes doesn't even happen at all.

So I guess this is unfixable?

Just Joined!
    You can work around it if you have the time to burn disc ISO images, then tell the player to read the ISO image instead of the drive.