Find the answer to your Linux question:
Assume the following hypothetical situations, 1) A user who does a yum install for certain applications wishes to rollback all the new installed packages at one go; i.e. he wishes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A questionnaire on yum

Assume the following hypothetical situations,

1) A user who does a yum install for certain applications wishes to rollback all the new installed packages at one go; i.e. he wishes to restore it to the earlier state(for good reasons ) he had prior to the yum install. How can he accomplish this?

2) Now, assume that he is unsure of the applications he installed on a particular day and wants to rollback all the packages installed on that day. How wold he go about it?

This one's relatively easy...
    3) This time the user isn't a newbie and has some basic knowledge about how to install and uninstall packages using RPM's.

The user knows the name of the installed application/library and tries the following
    rpm -e
    . But alas!, it gives a list of other packages that are dependent on this application/library. What will he have to do?

Is there any mechanism for triggered removal of the other packages for a successful uninstall??

Eagerly waiting for replies... I would love to use some of the solutions that go up!!

---- A person's efforts meet disaster in the following situations; when he blindly accepts what others tell him and in the other case when he doesn't listen to anyone ---

Just Joined!
    Well i would like to add one more question to the above list .

What if the user had installed some plugins and made some config changed in yum and now he wants to restore yum to the configuration it had on a fresh nstallation ......

oz
    forum.guy
    The easiest solution, at least in my opinion, is to simply restore the system backup you made before installing all that new software. All users that don't do backups probably should be.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I installed linux for first time on my system .....i did not had any info regarding the backups....

so is there anything else that can be done

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamerchawla View Post
    I installed linux for first time on my system .....i did not had any info regarding the backups....

so is there anything else that can be done
    Yes, there are a number of different methods and applications that can be used to backup your system. For some application options, take a look here. As for methods, I personally like to make an image of my partitions immediately after getting a distro installed and tweaked to my own liking. This way, if something should go wrong, I can quickly restore the image to the partitions so that I'm right back to my freshly tweaked installation in just a matter of minutes. You'd probably need to experiment some to determine which backup method and application you'd want to use for your own needs.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I think i was not clear . I installed fedora 8 and have made many changes from that time ...As i did not had any knowledge regarding making back ups that time so i did not make one .. Im asking for a way to restore yum to its previous configuration of a fresh install as it worked that time ....but after i did some changes it started giving errors

so is there any way i can restore yum to its freshly installed configuration

oz
    forum.guy
    No, I'm not aware of any system restore function that is built into fedora, or into yum. Maybe someone will issue a speedy correction if either of them has one.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    No, I'm not aware of any system restore function that is built into fedora, or into yum. Maybe someone will issue a speedy correction if either of them has one.

Will re-instaling yum help ?
    Because i wanna jus make the configuration of yum to restore