Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
First off, your help is really appreciated! OK, I got my IP, as you suggested, and entered everything. The card is now activated! (woohoo!) However, when I launch Mozilla, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK, The card activated!! But....

First off, your help is really appreciated!

OK, I got my IP, as you suggested, and entered everything. The card is now activated! (woohoo!) However, when I launch Mozilla, it still will not connect to the internet. Any more suggestions?

Thanks a million,

Peetem

Quote Originally Posted by dan@george
    When you run ifup, the program tries to get your IP from a DHCP server.

I'm not sure whether Redhat has a default firewall or anything; what comes up when you type
    Code:
    /sbin/iptables -L
    at the command line?

Linux Newbie
    What does Mozilla say when you run it?

if you can ping your gateway, make sure that you dont have some sort of securitu installed on it (ie mac-address filering) withc would let you see the gateway, but not access it. Also jsut look arounf at mozilla's default connections settings.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Well....It just says something like

What does Mozilla say when you run it?
    "File not found"....Is there anyway to alter Mozilla's LAN settings? - I know how to using IE, but perhaps I am missing something....darn ole Windows again holding me as a slave.

Also, the fella after your post suggested that I "ping the gateway". Do you know how one goes about doing this?

Sorry to be so frustrating, but I'm at a loss on how to get this card to connect to the internet. At least on boot it recognizes the card and indicates everything is working OK. Also, the NIC's status is "active" now, so your help hasn't been in vain!

Owing a big debt,

Peetem

Linux Newbie
    It's cool, don't feel like you owe us anything. You can send me cookies if you want; I love me some cookies.

First of all, it's good that your Ethernet card is activated. We're making progress. Now if you wouldn't mind posting the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig -a eth0
    we could make some more.

Also, I think we should try to narrow down the problem by figuring out where the connection is going wrong. Try both of the following commands, and post the output of them:
    Code:
    ping 216.239.41.99
    ping www.google.com
    as before. Does either of those work?

Good luck with all this; I know it probably seems a little overwhelming, but bear with us.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Just Joined!

OK, I got the following:

Link Encap: Ethernet
    HWaddr: 00:00:C5:B4:F7:15
    Inetaddr: 208.180.205.222
    Bcast: 208.180.205.255
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Upbroadcast.... MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
    RX Packets: 635 err: 0....all zeros for remaining variables
    TX Packets: 102 err:0....all zeros for remaining variables
    Collisions: 0
    Txqueuelength: 100
    RX Bytes: 38100
    TX Bytes: 8476
    Int: 3 Base: 0x7c00

Ok, for the "Pings" I got:

Ping 216.239.41.99 - (216.239.41.99) 56(84) Bytes of Data
    Ping www.google.com: Destination Host Unreachable

Thanks again....adn I'll get you some cookies - P'nut butter or oatmeal-raisin.

Thanks!

Pat

It's cool, don't feel like you owe us anything. You can send me cookies if you want; I love me some cookies.

First of all, it's good that your Ethernet card is activated. We're making progress. Now if you wouldn't mind posting the output of
    Code:
    ifconfig -a eth0
    we could make some more.

Also, I think we should try to narrow down the problem by figuring out where the connection is going wrong. Try both of the following commands, and post the output of them:
    Code:
    ping 216.239.41.99
    ping www.google.com
    as before. Does either of those work?

Good luck with all this; I know it probably seems a little overwhelming, but bear with us.

Linux Newbie
    You'll need to put the IP address of your Internet gateway into your ifconfig settings; you must have one if you can connect to the Internet using an Ethernet card. This would be your cable modem, router, regular modem, or something of the sort. Got an idea what it is?

sorry dan, theres a good chance you have a great plan, but find out if he can access the localnetwork first (ie gateway or dhcp server) It seems likely that he isnt getting the dhcp broadcast. This could be several reasons, but one that seems likely is a filtering of some sort installed on his switch/NAT that for some reason is rejecting his box.

(btw, most common gateway addresses in the world are 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.100.1,192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.100) just if your gonna play the guessing game. Im sure dan knows, but the only other class A ip that is desiganted for local network use it 10 (ie, the first setion has to be a 10 or 192, but thats not gonna help much as you will still have some millions of possibles.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

I checked and I have a Gateway Mask....

You'll need to put the IP address of your Internet gateway into your ifconfig settings; you must have one if you can connect to the Internet using an Ethernet card. This would be your cable modem, router, regular modem, or something of the sort. Got an idea what it is?
    I connected with my other computer and checked the Gateway Mask. I entered that in my network settings on the Linux box. No go....

I am connecting directly to the cable modem. No router.

Cookies are almost done. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Peetem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2