Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
riiiightt, the actual question, we here are ovbiously going to be bias a little, but the difference in stability between freebsd and linux is minimal, you might have a linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

riiiightt, the actual question, we here are ovbiously going to be bias a little, but the difference in stability between freebsd and linux is minimal, you might have a linux problem every 3 years. Personaly, ive come to like linux more, just for its community, and fast development cycle. If your going to run linux workstations, then i would defininetly do a linux server, the possibilities for Belwolf style services and general integration are almost impossible to imagin (if you cannot tell, ive always wanted to try my hand at an all linux system, not a stupid ms/linux hybrid hodgpod). What services will this server be offering? if just file and web to a few customers and employees, then its probably no big that ever 3 years you will have a night down (not if you do process sharing, but reguardless) If you happend to work for IBM, and they decided that there entire serverfarm is going on one computer, then yes, you will probably want a freebsd.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    i do want every thing on the one server as it is only a home server but we have 5 desktops and 2 laptops and i want the PDC only because who ever logs onto the computer we want the same files and settings on whtever machine we logonto the sever will be on all the time any way due to the web sevrices as i host my own website and host my own DNS server for the website the sever will also be my own e-mail server it will also use DHCP for the local network, it will also be a dial in server for my laptops for connecting to the internet via my sever from my laptop when away from home it will obviosly be a file sever and im sure iv messed sumet out any way i will only be doing the things i did on my 2k3 sever wich i already do all the things i have mentioned, and all the desktops will either remain windows or become dual boot i will only be using windows wher ther isnt a linux version such as games

ok, linux should suit your needs, i think that becasue its go such an active community you will be ushered into the change a little easier, i dont think that the slight stability difference is really worth losing sleep over, it is your choice, but i would recommend linux. A nice benifit of a larger opensource community is the larger package selection, if you have an odd niche job that needs complition, more likely than not there is an open source utility that can do it.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help but i think i will chose fedora for the server is ther any reason why i should go with a diferent distro? the distro's i have used are RH9, fedora1, berry, mandrake, freebsd (although not linux) i think thats it apart from knoppix but thats a live cd, i didnt like mandrake much though, if i do choose to go with a red hat/fedora do you think i will be better off choosing somthing like white box linux which is RHEL based?

(dont kill me coz i dont like mandrake i know its your distro! lol )

ahah, mandrake was my first distro, and yes it still holds a place in my heart, but not in my functinal linux place..thing...location.. Reguardless, if you want a great system, its gentoo. if you have used linux for a little while and are familiar with basic commands (ls cd fdisk) and know your system specs, then dont let the taboo sourrounding the gentoo install scare you. Alone, it would be, but the handbook holds your hand, and does a great job of it. you will find that this forum in general is very stronly pro gentoo, but if your not up for it, then try debian. Really if you can handle them (ie manage your own config files) then they are more powerful,stable, and much faster once running.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    i think a may well giv debian a go befor i make the move at cant hurt, any comment on slakware i hear that can be good? befor weekend when i think i will be making the move i will try white box (RHEL based) debian and maybe slackware

never triend a whitebox based, sorry i cant offer something there, but i used slackware a little while, its a great middleman, its a little more newbi friendly then debain and gentoo, while a heck of a lot more powerful then teh 3 main

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    i am just looking on distro watch at down loading debian http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php...ibution=debian but ther are quite a few difrent versions which shud i down load? is the best 3.0r2 woody? from what i understand i think that is the best as it may not be the newest but is not unstable or used for testing im i right?

as i know, woody stable.

note: you dont need all 7 cd's, just dl the first one, boot from it, then install from ftp, that way you only get the packages you need.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    thanks for all the help i think i will try that one i have down loaded lackware and will give them both a go i dont think i wil be on hear until i install it and cant figur something out thanx again for the help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast