Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by Mittens_Da_Punk I managed to burn a proper image CD for Fedora-8-i686 But, it didn't work. And I can't seem to burn the full DVD package due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens_Da_Punk View Post
    I managed to burn a proper image CD for Fedora-8-i686
    But, it didn't work.
    And I can't seem to burn the full DVD package due to the fact that it gives and error message saying:
    "The File 'Fedora-8-x86_64-DVD.iso' is larger than 2 GB and therefore cannot be stored in an ISO file system."
    The problem i was describing in that post is a problem i had burning the DVD package. It wouldn't allow me to burn the ISO file even though there it was a blank DVD with enough room. in parentheses i have the error message it displayed.
    Sorry, but I'm unable to tell if you are burning CD images, or a DVD image because you mention both. In one sentence you said you had a successful CD burn that didn't work, then in another sentence an unsuccessful DVD burn because the ISO file was too large.
    oz

Sorry,
    I got a good CD burn. But ran into trouble when booting.
    It would go along fine then reach a stage where it gave a box with some info in it and ask for input. ([DS-DOS] A:/> i think it was) and it wouldn't continue and I didn't know what to do.

Then with the DVD when I was burning. It asks which file I want to burn. I selected it and it gave that error message.

Sorry about being all over the place and what not and thank you for helping me.

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry,
    I got a good CD burn. But ran into trouble when booting.
    It would go along fine then reach a stage where it gave a box with some info in it and ask for input. ([DS-DOS] A:/> i think it was) and it wouldn't continue and I didn't know what to do.
    You might have gotten a good burn, but it was an improper burn. The DR-DOS message means that you made the CD bootable, yourself. Don't make it bootable yourself because the ISO image burning process does that automatically.
    oz

Oh... I don't know how I did that exactly. I use um... Neo burn or whatever its called and it has options like "Make Data CD" "Make Boot CD" "Make Data DVD" "Make Boot DVD" and stuff like that. Would that have done it?

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't use that cd-burner so don't know, but my guess is that there's a little check box somewhere on one of the screens regarding making the CD bootable. If you can find it and uncheck it then burn the .iso file to the CD as an image, it should work for you.
    oz

What do you use? Because I couldn't find just a simple "Write as image" thing under options or whatever. Where would you find the option for write as image?

oz
    forum.guy
    I use the command line in Linux, or sometimes K3b, a Linux application. Check this HowTo for burning in Nero to see if it helps. Hopefully, it's up-to-date enough to get you going.
    oz

Thanks for all your help.

oz
    forum.guy
    I just found this video that might help:

Burn Ubuntu CD Image to CD Using Nero | ubuntuclips.org
    oz

Just Joined!
    Oh... I don't know how I did that exactly. I use um... Neo burn or whatever its called and it has options like "Make Data CD" "Make Boot CD" "Make Data DVD" "Make Boot DVD" and stuff like that. Would that have done it?
    most likely your CD/DVD burn was not OK. You just need to burn the iso image as you burn any other CD. No special requirement to burn an iso image. Also, the 2GB limit complain is certainly coming from your DVD burner and has nothing to do with Fedora. Check out your DVD burner details.
    Once you have the proper image burned then installing it should be trivial.
    BTW, on what machine you are trying to install fedora 8?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast