Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, For those of you who own HP Compaq 6710s and want to install linux, you have to turn native sata support in your bios off so the setup detects ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to linux... please help me =)

Hi,

For those of you who own HP Compaq 6710s and want to install linux, you have to turn native sata support in your bios off so the setup detects your hard drive

Anyways...

I have fedora 7 installed because i can't download 8 right now... i want to install a few things and i'm not sure how.

I downloaded the beryl core tar.gz and used archive manager to extract it... how do i install it? and are there better video drivers for my intel gma x3100? how do i get wine?

Please explain to me well, i'm only brand new and don't understand all the technical stuff very well.

Thanks!

Regards, Mortagen

Just Joined!
    Please help me... please? i'm trying to resist windows by sticking with linux... but i need help to do it. How do i get mp3 support too?

Thanks ALOT in advanced!

Regards, Mortagen

This is a link to a good Fedora 8 installation guide. I think a lot of the stuff would also be usable for fedora 7. There are also guids for other fedora releases. Hope this helps.

See:
    Personal Fedora 8 Installation Guide

Shows you how to set up mp3 support. install video drivers ect.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply!

I managed to fix the mp3 support with the following guide before i saw your reply:

Fedora 7: Installing multimedia Support | FedoraNEWS.ORG

Hope that helps some others!

Music sounds terrible... think i need some decent drivers for audio now too... anyone know how i can get some audio and video drivers for my 6710s for fedora 7? i'd really appreciate any help...

Also... how do i go about installing wine? i don't want beryl anymore... i found out i only need emerald now to apply a theme i downloaded from gnome look

Thanks!

Regards, Mortagen

PS. Linux is being so much nicer to me this time around... i think i'm here to stay Well at this stage anyways...

Execute this
    Code:
    su -
    lspci | grep -i VGA
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.

Have you installed Linva Or Freshrpms repo?
    Execute this to install Wine:
    Code:
    su -
    yum -y install wine
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First