Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been setting up a wireless network in my house, and have been fighting with a linux install (fedora to connect properly. The problem is that i'm not the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

problem with runlevel daemon boot order.

I have been setting up a wireless network in my house, and have been fighting with a linux install (fedora to connect properly. The problem is that i'm not the end user of the computer, and my sister who is, doesn't know enough about linux to be able to connect herself. i need it to connect automaticaly on boot.

My setup involves having the wpa_supplicant daemon boot first, then the network daemon boot, having wlan0 access the hardcoded lan. The laptop will ONLY be used on our network, so it didn't matter that this system wont easily connect to other wlans.

my problem comes in that every time the computer is powered off (not just a reboot, but full shutdown) the order of boot is changed, so that wpa_supplicant boots AFTER network. obviously without the wpa, the system cant authenticate against the router. I manualy edited the order by renaming the S##wpa_supplicant and S##network in /etc/rc[345].d/ directories.

is there some other way to do it that i dont know about that will keep the setting across shutdowns. honestly i dont even know why it is not keeping, as it keeps it across soft resets.

thanks in advanced.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

I think wpa_supplicant is suppose to start AFTER network (it needs the device?). So, even if you configure well wpa_supplicant, wireless won't work (misses dhcp).

Try dhclient wlan0 after boot (change wlan0 with your device). If it works add it to your rc.local
    HTML Code:
    /bin/sleep 2
    /sbin/dhclient wlan0
    Saw this on web. Not a total solution.
    I'm using wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-21.fc8.x86_64.rpm

--------------------------
    Fedora 8 x86_64 (2.6.23.1-42.fc8 )
    A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

Quote Originally Posted by ptkobe View Post
    I think wpa_supplicant is suppose to start AFTER network (it needs the device?). So, even if you configure well wpa_supplicant, wireless won't work (misses dhcp).

Try dhclient wlan0 after boot (change wlan0 with your device). If it works add it to your rc.local
    HTML Code:
    /bin/sleep 2
    /sbin/dhclient wlan0
    Saw this on web. Not a total solution.
    I'm using wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-21.fc8.x86_64.rpm

--------------------------
    Fedora 8 x86_64 (2.6.23.1-42.fc8 )
    A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx - AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

No, the wpa_supplicant must be started for wlan0 to connect properly. the device is allready loaded, it is the network service that needs to be after the wpa_supplicant. i have everything working, this question is NOT about networking at all, it is about the boot order.
    The other problem is that i'm not the end user. the end user doesn't know enough and is not comfortable enough to use the command line, and won't have root access. The goal is to have wlan0 connect everytime the computer is started, without me there to run commands. again, the networking is fine, i just wanted to know how why the order is resetting to the default after a shutdown.

ALSO, i thought about it after i posted my original post, and thought that there could be a script in the /etc/rc0.d directory, that would cause this, because it only happens after a TOTAL shutdown, not a restart (IE, init 0, not init 6.) Then again my understanding is that init 6 just runs the scripts in rc0.d, then rc#.d, where # is just your default runlevel. unfortunatly, i'm not at home, so i cant tinker .
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Ok

This works for me.
    I'm assuming that network is running on S10

You must edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/wpa_supplicant
    change:
    # Required-Start: $local_fs messagebus
    to
    # Required-Start: messagebus
    and confirm you have
    # chkconfig: - 09 92

Then edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/messagebus
    change
    # chkconfig: 345 22 85
    to
    # chkconfig: 345 8 85

save and run
    HTML Code:
    chkconfig messagebus resetpriorities
    I believe that will do it.

1- I receive a wpa_supplicant error on shutdown
    2- If you restart wpa_supplicant, you have to restart network ?
    3- I dont use NetworkManager. Dont know if it works with this changes.

P.S:For those that use a usr-network-mounted directory that depends on wireless, it wont work. Could probably copy the /usr/bin/wpa_supplicant file to /bin or similar, and adjust the scripts.

yeah, i cant confirm yet, but i found the answer in a seperate website, that i believe will work, thanks for your help though, your answer is close to what it was saying, but was more specific to what i was looking for.

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

run also
    HTML Code:
    chkconfig wpa_supplicant resetpriorities
    and no more wpa_supplicant error on shutdown

It's 4 in the morning here. I'll check this post again tomorrow.