Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I've just installed Fedora 8 i386 on one of my slightly older desktop machines and like it very much. What a refreshing change from windows. Now I want the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Newbie but keen!

Hi. I've just installed Fedora 8 i386 on one of my slightly older desktop machines and like it very much. What a refreshing change from windows. Now I want the best of both worlds on my main desktop machine. I currently have two primary windows partitions (100 gig and 50 gig) and am running windows xp professional. I have an ACER tower with 3 gig processor and 512 ram.

It looks like the machine will boot from the DVD as I did fire it up with the disc in there. I hope the i386 is the right version for that machine?

What I would like to do on my main Acer machine is run a dual operating system with XP on one section (for my games) and Fedora on another partition (for online stuff, office stuff etc). I considered using partition magic in the Windows XP partition in order to boot into the Fedora one (if I can sucessfully make it). But I really don't know what I'm doing. I have had a bad experience of dual boot on a laptop (it failed).

But what I'm really needing to know is how to initiate installing Fedora 8 on the computer. I don't want to over-write Windows XP and would like to be able to switch between the two. Can anyone talk me through the first intallation stage (partitions etc) so that I can keep both operating systems? Laymans terms please, word for word what I have to click or type, I'm a real novice! Thanks!

Regards,
    Cheri

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

If WinXP is currently residing on the entire hard disk, you'll need room to install Linux. It wouldn't be a bad idea to defrag Windows before going any further. The installer within Fedora can make room for Linux, or you can use the PartedMagic LiveCD to do it. It's a clone of Partition Magic (but better in my opinion), so it's easy to use and it works directly from the liveCD.

I generally make my partitions something like the following:

Code:
    / (about 6 to 10 GB, ext3)
    swap (about 512 MB, swap)
    /home (about 6 to 10 GB, ext3)
    Have fun with your Linux system and don't hesitate to post again if you need additional help.
    oz

Just Joined!
    In fact, once you partition the HDD using PartedMagic as pointed by Ozar or any other tool then Fedora installer will take care of the rest of the partitions (swap, home, etc.), if you are not very picky about how much space to give to each partitons.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. I used Parted Magic. I now have Fedora 8 on here as well as XP Professional Service Pack 2. When I boot it gives me an option to go to the boot screen (where I can choose between Windows or Fedora) however if I don't click a key within 3 seconds it defaults to Fedora.

My first question is, is there an easy way that I can set the default so that it automatically boots the windows partition instead of the fedora one (unless I specify other wise). I would like to be able to switch the default boot (for now) but have no idea how to do this.

Secondly I am not online with Fedora yet. My internet connects through a (NTL) Virgin Cable Modem (which runs through a router, as I have various wireless machines). Fedora doesn't recognise the internet connection and I'm guessing that something needs to be configured, but have no idea how to go about this!

Please can somebody help a newbie?

Regards,
    Cheri

My first question is, is there an easy way that I can set the default so that it automatically boots the windows partition instead of the fedora one (unless I specify other wise). I would like to be able to switch the default boot (for now) but have no idea how to do this.
    Count title lines and set default value to title Windows line no -1.
    Let say, title Windows lines is 5th line. Set default value to 4.
    Code:
    default 4
    timeout 10
    I would suggest you start a new thread for internet problem.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi devils casper. Just wanted to say thanks for your help. My machine now has windows as default boot. Once I get the ethernet problem sorted I might switch it back round, but for now I need to be doing lots of googling.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Cheri