Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a bit confused about installing and configuring a network card in Fedora Core 4. The card, as shown in lspci, is: 02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: U.S. Robotics USR997902 10/100/1000 Mbps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

U.S. Robotics Card

I'm a bit confused about installing and configuring a network card in Fedora Core 4. The card, as shown in lspci, is:

02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: U.S. Robotics USR997902 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI Network Card (rev 10)

This card should use the r8169 driver, so i loaded it with "modprobe r8169". But if i type lsmod, i see

Module Size Used by
    r8169 30669 0

Does this mean that i load the wrong module, or that i have to do something more?

Thank you.

I've noticed when modprobe(ing) ndiswrapper that I will see something similar. Yet when I do: ifconfig, I see wlan0 as present. So I'd do ifconfig and see if you see eth0 or eth1. Should be a pretty good indication if everything is as it should be. As root:
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig eth(0) up
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    Or of course, the easiest way is to open:
    Code:
    system-config-network
    and check in the hardware tab to see if your device is shown as present.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-04-2008 at 03:18 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your suggestions.

No, i cannot see the card with ifconfig. This is the second ethernet card, the other is a Realtek 8139. Someone told me that there could be a conflict between the 8139too and r8169 driver, could you confirm or deny it?

About system-config-network, it's not installed. Is it an X-server based tool? This is a production samba server and i did a very minimal installation, with no X Server.

I don't know about the conflict, but I have an 8139 in one of boxes and it works pretty well. Did you try the above commands using eth1 instead of eth0? Yes, system-config-network is a "GUI" utility so it won't do you any good.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here