Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I tried to install fedora 7 but for some reason i couldn't get through. Even though i have sufficient space on HD, it flashed warning as i don't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation issues

Hi,
    I tried to install fedora 7 but for some reason i couldn't get through. Even though i have sufficient space on HD, it flashed warning as i don't have enough
    space. I am uploading few screen shots, i hope it would help.
    I have 18151mb(Primary) of free space, on which i am trying to install fedora. Alloted 100 mb to /boot(primary), 512mb as swap and remaining as /.

Its the third step that is creating the problem. If i try to allot space for swap after / and /boot, it flashed the no space warning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you have a partitioning problem, you are trying to create too many primary partitions and you have already created an extended partition. You need to make better use of the extended partition in order to have more than 4 partitions total. The easiest fix is to not have a separate /boot partition

You have lot of free space and you can create /dev/sda6, 7 and more partitions easily.
    Create /dev/sda6 and assign it / mount point. Or download PartedMagic LiveCD and repartition disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    Thanks alot for the quick reply.Honesly i have just started with it so an easy explaination would be greatly appreciated. I already have 2 partition for wondows, c and d, d being extended. The remaining space is showing up as free space and that is primary, around 17 GB. I want to install linux on that free chunk. Out of that free space i alooted 100 MB for /boot, 512 for swap and remaing for /. So u guys want me to further split that free chunk and install linux on it???

Out of that free space i alooted 100 MB for /boot, 512 for swap and remaing for /. So u guys want me to further split that free chunk and install linux on it???
    You have created 2 partitions ( /boot and SWAP ) for Linux and you need one more for / (root). Just create one more partition in ext3 filesystem and assign it / mount point.
    Or
    Delete /dev/sda3 and sda4 partitions. Create /dev/sda5 and sda6 inside /dev/sda2. Use PartedMagic LiveCD. Its one of the best Partition Manager and very user friendly.

* /dev/sda5 -- 512MB -- SWAP
    * /dev/sda6 -- Allocate as much space as you can. 8-10GB is recommended -- ext3 FileSystem.
    Start installation and select Manual Partitioning. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP itself. Continue installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitverma4u View Post
    Honesly i have just started with it so an easy explaination would be greatly appreciated.
    If you want easy, then you should utilize the PartedMagic LiveCD as suggested by devils_casper because it puts the partitions and controls into a GUI image right in front of you so that it's easier to see what's happening and what still needs to be done.
    oz