Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was trying to make sure i can restore my OS quickly from a crash. I think backing up my linux partitions is a way. I use Ghost at work, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to backup a partition Fedora 8

I was trying to make sure i can restore my OS quickly from a crash.

I think backing up my linux partitions is a way. I use Ghost at work, on windows machines. I'll probably could do that with linux machines (boot loader questions?).

But what about with linux/opensource tools? I look at dump/restore and BackupPC, please could you help me ?

Thanks
    -------------------------------
    Fedora 8 x86_64 (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
    A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx - AMD Athlon 64 3200+

oz
    forum.guy
    You can find some backup/recovery options for Linux here:

Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need

Let us know which one you go with.
    oz

Thank you, ozar

What I need:
    -I may restore my system to a previous backed up stage if i messed it up (it happens), but it still works. Incremental backup is nice to save space.

-If the disk failed, or something beyond recovery, i may restore to a backup booting from cd. Questions about the boot cd, how and how fast are the backups, rotation if full backup or partition dump, how hard it is to put the backup on a new disk,...

It will be nice to have some tool for both. On windows, at least, Ghost is fast enough locally to do it. Of course, its not free or opensource.

I still have ghost to make a partition/disk image and restore it (I think, didn't try to restore it yet)
    I want to make a fresh install of Fedora. Good chanche to try the restores.

I think i will start with dump to a local disk, I have a raid 0 and a raid1 (both "fake", so it seems)
    1-I already have a grub boot floppy (thank's again),
    2-looking how to make a boot disk with restore in it and other tools. Or I'll check the Live-CD from Fedora or a already made rescue CD.

Then i'll try BackupPC, probably when I've my old PC also running (CD drive problems!)

I also consider (at first look) Partition Image, Mondo and g4u
    Ĩ
    BackupPC comes with Fedora 8 64, it seems to have a good help, incremental backups and ready for a entreprise enviroment. Don't know if it can be used in a full crash.

I am afraid about the suport of my raid (again, fake). Maybe I should use software raid instead? For now I have a via sata raid0 and a promisse sata raid1 working, but some software just dont see it (qtparted is a example and gparted started with no /dev/mapper/'very long name' argument).

Any help or opinions will be appreciated. Sorry about the poor english,

-------------------------------
    Fedora 8 x86_64 (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
    A8V Deluxe rev 1.xx - AMD Athlon 64 3200+

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close