Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just can't figure out what the hell happened. I have been working with this system for quite a while now with no extremeley serious issues, other than mp3 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So I have now completely killed my fc2 system

I just can't figure out what the hell happened. I have been working with this system for quite a while now with no extremeley serious issues, other than mp3 and usb issues. Today I needed to burn a cd containing the install files for symantec AV for windows. So I decided to this on my linux box. I mapped smbclient domain/user server/share etc and tried to get the directory i needed, realized i couldnt get the directory so i did a tar -c symantec symantec.tar. This worked well, when it finished i had a symantec.tar file in my home directory. Next I did a tar -xf symantec.tar... it finished, and i attempted to do an ls.. permission denied.. so i cd ../ ls permission denied. I then tried su root ........ system just hung for a few minutes. So I decided to drop out of x ctrl alt f1.. Same problem, su root hang, ls permission denied. I kept tryiing different directories all were permission denied, couldnt even ls -l to see what perms were set. Next I rebooted and got a login prompt very very quickly (none) login: I attempt root and my pw, and it says bad passwd, attempt my user, same response. So then I boot off recovery and poke around. I find my bin directory is gone replaced by a file called bin with all numbers and for owner and group. I renamed that file, and grabbed the bin directory off of another nearby system (fc2 also) and replaced it. Still cant boot.. any suggestions as to what i screwed up to cause this or how to fix other than restore from my non-existant backups or reinstall. thank for any help

-Aaron

Just Joined!

Well I went ahead and rebuilt, just one question (backups)

I went ahead and rebuilt/ reinstalled fc2 and just got everything backup and running.. Alteast I am getting much much better and configuring linux from scratch I was wondering does anyone else use the smbclient tar functions to pull down directories? I am very tempted to try the same thing agian that killed my box before just to see if its some sorta bug. Also any suggestions on backing up this thing to cd-r? any packages that automate this other than tar -cf files -z and then burning. It would be awesome to have this thing backed up so i could just boot off a cd and recover the whole system.

-Aaron