Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this is a simple thing, but i'm not sure how to do it. How do i get to the command line? Every internet app (aim, shockwave...) that i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Command LIne

I know this is a simple thing, but i'm not sure how to do it. How do i get to the command line? Every internet app (aim, shockwave...) that i want to run i have to do something in the command line first, how do i get there?

-Patrick

what desktop are u using? try right clicking on the desktop and choosing new terminal session or anything with the word 'terminal' in it, also, you can look under accessories for some sort of 'terminal' the most common are xterm(all xserver),konsole(kde) and i cannot rember the name of gnomes, but look for something with 'terminal' in it. It is also highly likely that there is something on your toolbar, you can clikc on some of those.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I'm using Gnome, and i found the terminal. But whenever i type in what i'm supposed to it says "no such file or directory". So i'm confused, is there some other command i have to type first. IE. I dLed AIM for linux, than it says to log in as root and type 'rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm' which i did and i got the "no such..." message. Is there something i have to type first? LIke a change of directory or something.

-P

yes you do, you must 'cd' (change directory) to the directory the rpm is in ( I think, i havent used an rpm in the longest time, so if someone knows better, please correct me.) for example, if you downloaded the file to ~/ (this means your home directory in linux) to ~/downloads/aim then the command would be
    Code:
    cd ~/downloads/aim
    then use the 'ls' command (list) to see the files in that directory. finaly, make sure that your typing in the name of the rpm you downloaded, no the name of the rpm in the example on the website/in the docs. I decied to do all this namely b/c i am at work, and kinda bored, but there is a great tutorial on command line in the toturials section of this site.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    many thanks