Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone at linuxforums.org. I recently recieved an old Compaq Presario 5660 from work and installed RH Linux 7.2 on it. Later I decided to put Windoze 2k on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Non-system disk or disk error

Hey everyone at linuxforums.org. I recently recieved an old Compaq Presario 5660 from work and installed RH Linux 7.2 on it. Later I decided to put Windoze 2k on a seperate HD and to partition about half of the linux drive into my drive "D:/". Since then, I have not been able to boot into linux at all. After switching the cables for the master drive and then booting, I get an error message saying "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready". I don't have any floppys or CDs in the drives. I have tried to fix this by myself for awhile, by trying bunches of different things including using the "linux repair" feature on my redhat cd, but to no avail. I'm tired of windoze an want my linux back. Any help and replys are greatly appreciated, and thanks loads for your time.

Linux Newbie
    probably your mbr is damaged. Are you for sure that your harddrives are connected in your pc?

If so, then your linux distro should repair your mbr, but...

yes but, Linux or Windows can kill your mbr.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic_Slayer
    probably your mbr is damaged. Are you for sure that your harddrives are connected in your pc?

If so, then your linux distro should repair your mbr, but...

yes but, Linux or Windows can kill your mbr.
    I'm positive that they've been plugged in all the way, as I've tried it at least twenty times. If the mbr is damaged, how would i go about fixing it? An sorry to seem dumb, but whats the linux distro?
    Thanks loads,

Bryce

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Don't know much about hard MBRs, but I can answer that one question:

"Distro" is short for "distribution", which in your case would be Redhat. There's also SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, and a host of other distros.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Linux Newbie
    When you boot, set your cdrom device as startup drive. Insert your disk.

Probably you'll see Fix Master Boot Record or something like that.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Just Joined!
    Thanks all, I got this all fixed up now. Used the RH cd to install some small programs that I didn't need, then used it to create a bootdisk. So I'm just using the bootdisk everytime I startup. Thanks for all of your help.

Bryce

if your fine with that, then great. Some people strive to find the 'correct' solution, not a 'work around' (as much as a work around is simply another solution) reguardless, now that you are in a linux enviroment, you could (if you wanted) install grub again (probably one the /boot partition) and that would create a more perminate fix. Should you care to do that let us know, and we/i will help you d oit.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

'Correct' Solution

Well, 'working around' is working pretty well right now.. but I'm sure open to getting it done the right way. Uhm, I've got Gnome and KDE on there if that makes any difference in the ways I can re-install GRUB. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Bryce