Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've installed Fedora 8 on my laptop three times now and have a persistent problem that I can't overcome. I'm unable to enter commands that on every other distro I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fdisk, ifconfig, lspci bash: command not found

I've installed Fedora 8 on my laptop three times now and have a persistent problem that I can't overcome. I'm unable to enter commands that on every other distro I've tried work right out of the box. I'm trying as root and as a user.

Without this attempting to be a comprehensive list of what I can and can't run, the three mentioned in the subject don't work. I was able to do rpm, yum install, vim, cat, mount, wget and a few others. The biggest problem this is causing me is that Fedora doesn't seem to want to allow me to use my Atheros wifi. When I try to activate it I get:

Device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

I've been shooting in the dark loading madwifi but without ifconfig working along with fspci, I'm a little too new to accomplish much more.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

V

Try using the path like this
    /sbin/lspci
    /sbin/ifconfig
    When you login as root, always use this method
    su - (you must include the hyphen - )
    (Press Enter)
    (Enter root password, Press Enter)
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 03-01-2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Include hyphens!!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    So in Fedora you've got to enter the path to execute some commands? Interesting. It worked though. Thank you. Now to work on the wireless issue.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vuserv View Post
    So in Fedora you've got to enter the path to execute some commands? Interesting. It worked though. Thank you. Now to work on the wireless issue.
    You don't have to enter the path if you login to root using "su -". If you use "su", you do not inherit roots path, so you would need to enter enter the full path names.

Just Joined!
    I missed the - after su that miketbob mentioned. Thanks for pointing that out daark.child

V

Just Joined!

Talking new guy in linux world

hi guys I was just checking out the new fedora 9 on vmware and were having same issue as V, but thanks for presence of gurus around here .

lesson from the problem: use su - or give absolute path to the utility !

"Life is good"