Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not the most knowledgeable person on computers, so bear with me. I'm trying to install Linux Redhat 6.0 on my computer. I have two hard drives, one with 8 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help installing Redhat 6.0!!!

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on computers, so bear with me.

I'm trying to install Linux Redhat 6.0 on my computer.

I have two hard drives, one with 8 gigs, and 80 gigs. The one with 8 gigs has Windows XP on it, and I'm not sure how to get it on the 80 one. Would making a backup of the 8 gig hard drive and restoreing in on the 80 one. Would that work?

why redhat 6.... reguardless, that wount work, you will need to reinstall windows on the new drive, windows bootloader wont know where to look for the new inof. But why move it? just make 60 gigs on the 80giger fat32 (2 partitions) then the third ext3 or xfs or whatever for linux, both os's can use the fat32 for storage, and windows doesnt need more than 8 gigs.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    I would not use red hat 6.0 it will be more pain than its worth you will have to do alot more updates and it will be hell to find driver support. Go to www.linuxiso.org and get red hat 9.0 as for the windows drive you could try useing ghost to image it and move it over but if your thinking of puting red hat on the 8gig just don't you wont have crap for space linux depending on what packages you install will be huge i would lave thee 8gig alone and partition the 80gig up and install linux to that and don't worry linux will install the boot loader to run both its self and winxp so no need to worry their.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I bought Red Hat 9.0 from eBay, but I kinda lost half the cds. I only have the source codes. What is a source code, by the way? Heh, total newbie. I'm downloading the ISO right now. Before I start installing, will the source code install as the actuall OS? Hehe, sorry for all the smart questions.

Linux Newbie
    Source code is the actual programming language written out in a text file. Humans can read and understand this, but processors can't. In order to create an executable, you need to compile the source code into a binary file that the processor can understand and execute.

So what you have is the source code for Redhat 9.0, which you can choose to either compile from source to binary or install using the pre-compiled RPM packages. I highly recommend the latter method, as the former will take a very long time and is easier to mess up.

Good luck!
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Yes, source code is the os. You can build from source, but it will take much longer. The RPM's are prebuild (ie compiled) binarys. Now, i dont know if redhat lets you install from source buy default, but if your dling the ios's dont worry about it.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333