Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have just loaded fedora 1 on my windows box, this is the first time where i have loaded linux on a box that also has windows on, i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot

hi i have just loaded fedora 1 on my windows box, this is the first time where i have loaded linux on a box that also has windows on, i do use linux on another box but i want it on ever box but i also need windows for some things so i have done a dual boot which all works fine no problems whatso ever. just one thing tho, i know you cant access linux partitions while i am in windows but can you and if you can which i am almost certain you can how to you access your windows partitions from linux? and i would like access to all 7 windows partitions (difrent windows version on each partition) im not sure if i will be able to access my longhorn partition tho because that uses a new version of ntfs which i dont know if linux will suport yet?

thanks for any help

ntfs support is sllloooowwwlly coming along in linux, b/c M$ is a dickwad, and refuse to share any of their crappy information, ntfs support has been a trial and error procees 'lets write to vector 7...ooops, uhh ok..8?' props to those who are devoting their time to developing it, but it might be a while for full support to develop. You can just avoid the new fs, or wait for linux to create a solution, or offer a hand in creating one yourself, they always need manpower.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    also i am planing on changing my server to linux, in the sever i have a 8GB hard disk which i will be happy to wipe as that is only the OS disk wich i will be installing linux on but i am not preperd to wipe the other 5 80GB+ NTFS formated diskes i am not preperd to loos that amount od data if ther is a way of accesing them from linux or converting them without data loss will you please let me know or is it a case of sitting ther for a few hours with a pack or 2 of black CD's?

also ther isnt the space on them to at leas free one disk up so i can re format disk by disk and moving the data around

but i thought ther was support because on knoppix you can access your ntfs partitions

thanks

read support for ntfs is ok-good, but i wouldn't reccomend writing. In general, the linux fs's are so much better, it might be worth the switch.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333