Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

eth0 suddenly inactive on startup

I'm using Fedora 8, it was working fine for a few weeks, and now for some reason whenever I boot up, eth0 is inactive and I have to activate it manually through System>Administration>Network Device Control before I can connect to the internet.

If you go to edit the properties of eth0, it is showing that it should "Activate device when computer starts", so I can't really see what the problem is.

Anyone got any idea what may be wrong?

Thanks,
    Aaron.

I'm not a Redhat/Fedora guy, but you could try this:

go to /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices

vi ifcfg-eth0

make sure that the top of the file has ONBOOT=yes

Let us know if that worked or not.

I went into /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices

there wasn't a file called "ifcfg-eth0", but there was one called ifcfg-eth0.bak (possibly created as a backup file by some software, maybe a package update), should I rename this file?
    # Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    HWADDR=00:07:E9:49:6C:85
    ONBOOT=yes

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you are using DHCP then you could copy that file to ifcfg-eth0 providing everything is correct.

Another thing you could do just reconfigure your network interface, this should be under System Settings -> Network.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

One thing I learned the hard way is that a ifcfg-ethX.bak up files can cause problems!! If you want a backup name it something like orig.ifcfg-ethX

Had this problem on one or two RHEL servers before

cheers
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

I'll try both of the suggestions posted, although I didn't actually make the backup file myself (it must have been made automatically by some software).

Thanks,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_H View Post
    I went into /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices

there wasn't a file called "ifcfg-eth0", but there was one called ifcfg-eth0.bak (possibly created as a backup file by some software, maybe a package update), should I rename this file?

Aaron,

I would do just that, make a new file - name it ifcfg-eth0 - provide it with the same contents as the bak file - save it then restart your network services. Here are the commands to do just that:

touch ifcfg-eth0
    vi ifcfg-eth0 and enter the file contents
    now type ":wq" without the quotes
    then type "services networking restart" (I believe networking is correct, but it may be network).
    Last edited by nauticalthinker; 03-11-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: :x put in a frowning face, which isn't what I wanted. used :wq instead.

Thanks for the reply nauticalthinker.

I went into System>Administration>Network (in GNOME)
    Deleted the previous connection and made a new one with the same settings as before, this seems to have fixed the problem.

Annoying problem, i tried all of the above and it did not work. try this, it seems to have fixed my problem..

[bash]# chkconfig --level 2345 network on
    [bash]# chkconfig --list network
    [bash]# /etc/init.d/network restart

www .brennan .id .au/04-Network_Configuration.html