Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi folks, A couple of newbie questions: 1. what's the best & efficient way of updating packages. I use redhat 9.0. Is there a tool that allow me to view ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

updating packages & increase usr size

hi folks,
    A couple of newbie questions:
    1. what's the best & efficient way of updating packages. I use redhat 9.0. Is there a tool that allow me to view the packages installed on my system vs the packages I can download and install?
    2. I tried to upgrade packages from my redhat cd, it does not show what packages are already installed on my system. Why? Or is the package tree consist of only the packages that I don't already have?
    3. When I try to install additional packages. Usr does not have enough space, I only allocated 2 gb for it before installation of linux. Is there a way to increase /usr space?
    thanks a lot!

Linux Engineer
    about the first i think redhat provides online update (there is an icon in your taskbar).
    2)are you sure you didn't install them?try alt+f2 to open a run window and type there the program you want to start.
    3)use qtparted program (google for it)...it's a partition magik clone.maybe useful!
    Good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

package management

thanks, I tried redhat network for package management, However, it doesn't seem like it grabs all the available packages, the list not as complete as the one on the redhat linux installation cd. for example, I can not find the list of games or programming tools like gcc+ that was on the cd. what am I missing? does the redhat network updater only lists update available to the packages that i installed but not the ones that i didn't?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It seems like RHN(Redhat network) does not list packages in a tree or categorized manner, so it's hard to find out what I really should get. Can I use other Package management software on redhat?

Linux Engineer
    why don't you just see what program do you really need and go to the appropriate site to download it?i should recommend to move to another distro like suse which has YOU for updates and works fine!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

package management

can I use other package management software like red carpet or the one on suse(forgot what it was called) on my redhat?
    thanks

yum, use yum,
    Code:
    yum update
    yum upgrade
    yum install melargeBUM!
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    suse uses YOU for updates from the network.and if course you cannot use it in redhat...it's only for suse
    Linux For Ever!