Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I am trying to install Fedora Core 2 on my second, and unused, 120 MB WD HDD, after having failing to overcome issues with the Mandrake 10 installation. (Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC2 - Not Enough Space on 2nd HDD for root, but it's massive

Hello!
    I am trying to install Fedora Core 2 on my second, and unused, 120 MB WD HDD, after having failing to overcome issues with the Mandrake 10 installation. (Win XP Pro need to stay on main HDD)

The installer tells me that I do not have enough space on root "/" for the installation, though I have allocated 1094 MB for root, 514MB for "swap", and the rest for "Home", over 100GB!? I am at a loss as to what to do now.

After having been unable to install Mandrake 10 from 4 new CD's from Linux Central for my new Athlon 64 onto a second (slave) hard drive, in both graphical and text mode, with similar errors (see below for more info), either to do with my ATI A-I-W 9600 card or some other error pertaining to "can't locate raid.pm in @INC (INC @ usr/bin/perl-install," etc., I attempted to install Fedora Core 2 from a newly minted and tested set of 5 CD's copied from the Linux Format magazine DVD.

I did specify the partitions as above during the install, and also chose hda1 ( ie., Windows, as the default OS ) when asked about installing the GRUB bootloader.

However, the "not enough space for'/"' 1544M" error keeps cropping up after having partitioned the 2nd drive, ie., "new> type> specifysize>mount point> format" each time, dividing the second drive into three. I believe this is correct, but please let me know if this is in error.

Here is my System Configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+,
    FIC K8-800T Motherboard,
    1 GB RAM,
    250 GB Maxtor HDD & 120 GB WD HDD,
    Mad Dog 5-in-1 DVD/CD-RW & 6-in-1 12X DVD+RW,
    ATI A-I-W 9600 128MB AGP 8x/4X Graphics Card,
    Soundblaster Audigy LS Soundcard,
    Windows XP Professional (on first HDD),
    Antec True View Case & True Power Supply,
    Extra case fans,
    US Robotics 56K/V92 Modem,
    Cable Internet on Toshiba PCX 2600 Modem,
    Generic Floppy DD,
    Lexmark X75 All-In-One Printer

I would be truly grateful for any light on this problem installation. I am hoping to get Fedoral Core 2 going to learn more about Linux than might be expected from Mandrake, anyway.

I just want to get Linux onto the second HDD and keep Win XP Pro on the master drive, a 250GB Maxtor .

I am aware that there is an issue with dual booting Win XP and Fedora Core 2, so I entered the fix

(see. http://www.mockus.us/optimum/dual-solved.html) at F1, "linux hda={the insert: value,value,value}" entering the cylinder/heads, values gleaned from fdisk using Recovery Is Possible

( from, http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-r...looplinux/rip/ ).

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!
    Peter G.
    --------------------
    PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004 12:35 pm Post subject: RE: Athlon 64/Mandrake 10 Install Hang Reply with quote

Edit/Delete this post
    RE: Athlon 64/Mandrake 10 Install Hang

Hello,
    I am a Linux "Twobie" ( using Mandrake for about 2 years!) and I have a new set of 4 CD's with Mandrake 10 Offical for

Athlon 64 from Linuxcentral.com

However, each time I have tried to install on my second (empty HDD WD 120 GB), I hit the same kind of snag, ie., the

install/system hangs.

"Radeon" is mentioned in the errors, so I wonder if my ATI AIW 9600 128MB is the issue?

How can I get over this issue and install Linux, which I love?

I attempted using the installer to auto allocate the partions on my 2nd HDD, a 120Gb WD Drive (hdb?) which I bought

specifically to install Linux - and I want to keep it safely away from Windoze XP Pro which is on the main HDD, a 250GB

Maxtor (hda1) .

The new partitions created are "/", Swap, "Home".

(If I choose to try the install on the new partitions I get an error too (something to do with perl), so I "clear all" of the

partitions on hdb, and select "auto allocate", but then the same error appears below each time).

The installers hangs at the same point, with the following error message:

"Using vt7
    Couldn't open RGB-DB 'usr/x11R6/lib/X11/rgb
    (WW) Radeon : No matching device section for instance (Bus ID : PCI : 1:0:1) found
    (WW) Radeon (0) : Failed to setup write-combining range (0xd80000000,0x80000000)
    Glib -warning *** getpwuid r () : Failed due to unknown user id (0) at

/usr/bin/perl-install/install-gk.pm line 229:
    Entering language, license, etc.,
    Choose packages
    Exited abnormally : (-- received signal )
    (ww) Radeon (0) : Failed to setup write-combining range... etc.,"

I have also tried to use "F1 Linux noauto" at the start of the install to skip the hardware probe

(possibly?), but to no avail, receiving the error:

"<6> run install2 (12) trap invalid operand
    rip : 2a976c1005 rsp : 7fbffffab8
    error 0"

I would be really grateful for some help with this install. I would love to get linux on this new drive/box.

I also have the new Fedora Core 2 DVD from Linux Format magazine, but I believe this can totally blow out Windoze XP,

and then the system becomes unbootable, although I understand that it should be Athlon 64 compatible.

Here is my System Configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+,
    FIC K8-800T Motherboard,
    1 GB RAM,
    250 GB Maxtor HDD & 120 GB WD HDD,
    Mad Dog 5-in-1 DVD/CD-RW & 6-in-1 12X DVD+RW,
    ATI A-I-W 9600 128MB AGP 8x/4X Graphics Card,
    Soundblaster Audigy LS Soundcard,
    Windows XP Professional (on first HDD),
    Antec True View Case & True Power Supply,
    Extra case fans,
    US Robotics 56K/V92 Modem,
    Cable Internet on Toshiba PCX 2600 Modem,
    Generic Floppy DD,
    Lexmark X75 All-In-One Printer

Thank you!

Peter G.
    qub333
    Linux Guru
    Linux Guru

Distro: Gentoo, Debian, Mdk 10

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004 01:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    Fedora 2 is, but the cd you got in the mag was probably for the x86, you just need to get some cd's /dvd geared tword your

architechture.
    pgtipz
    Just Joined!
    Just Joined!

Distro: Mandrake 10

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004 02:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
    Hi, thank you for the quick reply!

However, I need to point out that the Mandrake 1O CD's from Linux Central are the Athlon 64 version, which is what I

ordered and is on the CD labels.

Otherwise, perhaps the wrong CD's were sent with the wrong labels?!!

Do the errors suggest to you that this dilemma is likely?

Cheers!

Just Joined!

Maybe it's simply...

Uh... I should probably be digitally slapped for even thinking or try to help you with this... Considering I just installed FC2 myself. But when you specify the partitions (if you choose to custom partition it) and you choose the hard disk you have to specify in mb how large the disk is... That or select to use the maximum. The only thing I could think of is that you set this to the default which is like 100mb and now(theoretically) do not have enough space when in acuality you have another 100gb. If this helps power to you if not I'm sorry just trying to help.

Linux Newbie
    This may sound crazy, but maybe you don't have enough space in your root partition for installation, as FC is telling you.

You said above that you have allocated 1094mb (1.094 gigabytes) of space on your "/" partition. If installation is installing all packages to this partition, it may indeed need more space. I would suggest allocating more space for your root partition, (say, all of your drive, except for your swap partition.) Then do a test install. If it installs, you know that you need to give your root partition more space.

Who knows. Sometimes the obvious answer is the answer :-)

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    All Red Hat distroes, the default partition solution is: swap, /, and /boot. I see you have your own /home partition. The problem is They don't install any binary files in your /home diretory. Unless you have /etc, /var, /usr, or /usr/bin these diretories or partitions separately made, the system will install all system binary files under your / . And believe it or not, unless you will use it without KDE or GNOME or some other heavy program, as you will simply use it like router or something, 1 GB is not enough for /.

Just Joined!

Yep

Didn't think of that... Thats definitely true. I had a non graphical linux system which still needed just under a gb to install.

Just Joined!

Got it done!

Thanks so much everyone. I managed to install Fedora Core and learned more about partitioning and I hope this will help others out who read this.

I allocated about 10Gb for root , almost a GB for swap, and most of the rest is for home.

Cheers!

More penguin power to all of us!

Peter G.