Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
its set to suspend when I close the lid, but I don't close the lid. if I leave the room for say 15-20 minutes, and the screen shuts itself off... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

its set to suspend when I close the lid, but I don't close the lid. if I leave the room for say 15-20 minutes, and the screen shuts itself off... (old energy start compliance stuff) when I move the mouse, the screen won't turn back on. I don't use any screen savers right now, I used the most simple one I could think of, AKA blank screen, and the problem persists. I'm thinking the drivers are bad for the video card. It also makes the same kind of looking screen when i log off or restart the machine. garbled, and like the lcd is melting, so i think I'm getting signal leakage or overload, I'm not sure which. I've emailed nvidia about it, they dont' seem to have much to say as of yet. Thanks for you help all!

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by clanc43 View Post
    its set to suspend when I close the lid, but I don't close the lid. if I leave the room for say 15-20 minutes, and the screen shuts itself off... (old energy start compliance stuff) when I move the mouse, the screen won't turn back on. I don't use any screen savers right now, I used the most simple one I could think of, AKA blank screen, and the problem persists. I'm thinking the drivers are bad for the video card. It also makes the same kind of looking screen when i log off or restart the machine. garbled, and like the lcd is melting, so i think I'm getting signal leakage or overload, I'm not sure which. I've emailed nvidia about it, they dont' seem to have much to say as of yet. Thanks for you help all!

Clint
    I've noticed odd screen artifacts when logging on and off before, but they usually only last a couple of seconds. What version of the Nvidia driver do you have installed? Also, what version of the Linux kernel? You can determine the kernel version with uname -a and the Nvidia version with glxinfo | grep 'version'.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Linux localhost 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Mar 29 09:15:49 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@localhost clanc43]# glxinfo | grep 'version'
    server glx version string: 1.4
    client glx version string: 1.4
    GLX version: 1.3
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 169.12
    [root@localhost clanc43]#

Let me know if that helps, the problem keeps persisting. I'm trying to find a way to just let my screen blank out, but not actually turn off, let me know if theres an easy way to do this.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by clanc43 View Post
    Linux localhost 2.6.24.4-64.fc8 #1 SMP Sat Mar 29 09:15:49 EDT 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    You did make sure you installed the 64-bit driver, correct? Just trying to cover all the bases here. It shouldn't have let you install anything else.

Let me know if that helps, the problem keeps persisting. I'm trying to find a way to just let my screen blank out, but not actually turn off, let me know if theres an easy way to do this.

Clint
    I'm at a loss, honestly. You can control what the screen does in your power management settings, but I'm not sure precisely where that is in Fedora.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I am having exactly the same problem, but haven't been able to specify where the problem is.... only that it is consistent with the fact that, when the lid is closed, or when, by any means, the power is reduced to consume less energy, the wake-up process does not restore the graphics card.

The driver is 169.12 64 bits, running with a 64 bits Debian Lenny.

I will try checking an older driver and see what happens... I am glad I am not alone

Edit:

Mmm... seems a newer driver would be better... I found this on nvidia archive:

Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T)
    Fixed a bug that prevented the console from being restored correctly in SLI mode on GeForce 6 and 7 GPUs.
    I will check if that works

Just Joined!
    Nope...it does not work

Just Joined!
    I've tried loading about 3 different drives, I'm thinking of upgraded to FC9 to see if that does any better... Anyone done the FC 9 yet?

Clint

Just Joined!
    Well I've hosed my Xserver, I had to do emergency repairs and boot the old nvidia drivers off, so of course I lost my openGl and with it all my 3d functionality. I guess I'm off to look for more drivers, but at least its not locking up with the generic drive.

Clint

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2