Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I just completed installing FC8x64 on my laptop and finished up loading network drivers etc. I'm wondering what to do to install openGL on my graphics card its a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenGL for Nvidia 6150 GO gfx card?

Hi, I just completed installing FC8x64 on my laptop and finished up loading network drivers etc. I'm wondering what to do to install openGL on my graphics card its a Nvidia 6150 Go card. I went to the NVIDIA site and they don't have a listing for a driver/firmware download. I know the card exists, but I guess its a real oddball or they didnt' make many of them. Thanks for your help.

Clint

I did some Googling and I see one thread that deals with this:

Can NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9755-pkg2 support nvidia geforce go 6150 - Ubuntu Forums

They claim that the regular Nvidia Linux driver will work. You can download it from here:

Unix Drivers Portal Page

Or use a Fedora How-to:

The Unofficial Fedora FAQ
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    its downloaded, I ran the command, and it says i have to turn off my xserver? not really sure what that means. ran a search on it, should i move to runlevel 3 and do this or something? How do I keep the xserver from starting up or turn it off so I can load this driver? Thanks for the help

Clint

Take a look at this tutorial on installing the driver manually:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-drivers.html
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Sweet, i guessed right. needed to move to run level 3. Muhahaha, I learned something! Well thats installed properly, although when I shut down the machine, I get this weird screen that looks like my LCD is melting. I mean its really odd, if I could screenshot it I would. I know its not normal, but everything else seems to be running fine, so i'm not going to do anything about it.

Clint

EDIT: My nvidia network card now no longer works.. you don't think this install just attached itself to anything nvidia in the machine? It would almost make sense, if nvidia still only made gfx cards. Any ideas? I can't get on the internet anymore with the linux install... I'm getting cranky being stuck with stupid windows vista. Thanks for the input.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by clanc43 View Post
    EDIT: My nvidia network card now no longer works.. you don't think this install just attached itself to anything nvidia in the machine? It would almost make sense, if nvidia still only made gfx cards. Any ideas? I can't get on the internet anymore with the linux install... I'm getting cranky being stuck with stupid windows vista. Thanks for the input.

Clint
    The display driver shouldn't have messed with your onboard devices, but you can always reinstall the Nforce chipset drivers.

Linux nForce Drivers

If you still have trouble, start another thread and we can try to work through this issue.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Got the ethernet installed correctly now.. Wasnt' too much of a hassle, however, I'm encountering a new problem now, I'm almost positive its graphics related due to the nature of it. When my screensaver pops up, and I try to end it (and the password protection comes up) All I get is a bunch of mangled lines that I can't read. And then it looks like the screen is melting, like I posted above... I can't really get a screenshot of it, but its bizarre looking to say the least. Any ideas on how to fix it, or is this a really odd problem to have?

Hmmm.. I can't say I've heard of that one before. Does the problem persist if you turn off desktop effects? I've had some strange behavior in X Windows while using compiz before.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've isolated the problem down to this... I have a laptop, and when the screen shuts down after 10 minutes to save power, thats when I have the problem. The screensavers run fine until the machine turns the power off to the monitor, then I can't tell whats going on with the thing. So I'm guessing the system has trouble re-initializing the video card maybe? I'm thoroughly confused..

Clint

Some of the default screensavers for Linux are 3D-enabled. You might try disabling all the 3D screensavers (or just selecting one default that's 2D) and see if the problem persists.

Also, is your laptop set to suspend or hibernate when you close the lid? I've had issues with that in Linux before.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast