Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am brand new to Linux. I have Fedora Core 1. I am trying to setup Samba so i can access all of my window stuff. All of the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Accessing Printers and Files on Windows Computers

I am brand new to Linux. I have Fedora Core 1. I am trying to setup Samba so i can access all of my window stuff. All of the other stuff i have read is not very coherent and helpful for a novice, but I have also gathered that SWAT is the thing to use for people like me. Ofcoarse i can get SWAT to work either. Can somebody help this novice out? I would really like to learn both the easy graphical way to do this and the console way. Please feel free to contact me via AIM, email or this forum.

Linux Engineer
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    uhhh what if i can find the inted.conf fiile? I search the entire comp an it isnt found

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    one more question ....

when i actually locate the etc/inted.conf file. it asks me to add the flowing line....
    swat stream tcp nowait.400 /usr/local/samba/bin/swat
    swat
    then it says below that the path to swat may be different depending on distribution, welll how do you know you have the right swat folder. Are there certain files i should look for?

Try installing something like webmin, its a graphical configuration program, will let you set up basic shares, nothing fancy, but should suite your needs.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    ok so far so good. I guess samba must have been corrupted or something. I finally got swat open, but i for some reason it wont let me create users. I type in my new user name and password and click add new user and then it says failed to initalise Sam_Account or something like that.