Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I aiming to create a customised Red Hat installer. I want this installer to do installation on low end PC. I was wondering whether i can use RH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can I build customised Red Hat 9 installer on low end PC?

Hi all,

I aiming to create a customised Red Hat installer. I want this installer to do installation on low end PC. I was wondering whether i can use RH 9 for this purpose?

Please give me some idea. thanks.

Linux Engineer
    what do you mean by customized redhat installer?why don't you try to install normally,with the cd's you have??
    Linux For Ever!

not really, im sure its possible, i mean, its open source thats the point. But if your comfortable building an installer, you might want to try gentoo/debian as they already have such a customizable install (gentoo the most, its mostly done by hand) You could build a script that would handle the gentoo install, and use bre-buillt binaries, or even forgo emerge system, and emerge only certain parts or repacments.) exectly how low-end are we talking here? i go gentoo to work on a 1.8g 128 mb ram 122mhz processor. It takes a long time and a lotta tweaking, but it will work. I would not recommend redhat to someone who wants a hands on install. Or if your daring to the max you can try LFS (linux from scratch) thats really the ultimate geek triumph, write an install script that tailors to the needs of a low-end system, and baddabing baddaboom.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Actually i wanted to create a minimum installation of Red Hat by slimming down the number of CDs. I have gone through some HOWTOs that discuss on customizing the Red Hat CD. Btw, Red Hat comes with a good feature 'Kickstart' where it allows automatic installation. So, combining kickstart with the customised installer might save us a lot of work when we want to clone multiple computers with highly specific installation for certain purpose.

What i want to do is to squeeze 5 RH 7.3 CDs into 1 CD by carefully selecting the packages i need to setup a fax server. To save the cost to buy high-end PC, i can just take a pentium 60 16MB RAM and it is enough to done the job. The main point is RH 7.3 are packed with old packages. I was thinking that if it is possible to use newer version RH 9 to do the task instead of updating the packages from the internet. Because of my lacking of experience, i need pointers from others to show me the road.

Thanks!

easy enough, i still think that looking at a distro that already uses a manual install would be simpler. For example, the main component of the gentoo isntall is emerge gentoo. That install 70 some odd packages, the bare bones of a system. BUT if you were to see what packages they are, you could not only remove/replace many of them, but if you use prebuilt binaries then prelink to makeup for the performace dip, you could have a very small functional system. Simply use the livecd minimal, add the install script in /bin/bash before you install, then (say the script is install.sh) just type install.sh on every computer you want to install from. the only requirement is an internet connection to download the packages. I really thing something along these lines would be easier then messing with RH's installer. Part of that may be that i havent messed with RH in a while, but its your choice, im sure someone else here has something to say reguarding it, just my 2 cents.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333