Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install the kernel source on fedora core2 and the src rpm doesn't create a /usr/src/linux-x.xxx-x-kernel directory like other distributions do. It just leaves a mess in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing kernel source on fedora core 2

I am trying to install the kernel source on fedora core2 and the src rpm doesn't create a /usr/src/linux-x.xxx-x-kernel directory like other distributions do. It just leaves a mess in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ I don't think I could be doing anything in the rpm process that would result in a mess like this. Has anyone had any useful experience that would explain this?

Just Joined!
    The easiest way (IMHO) is to do: yum install kernel-sourcecode (it used to be just kernel-source on FC1).

Linux Newbie
    You can use apt also if you are not sure how to compile a kernel from the source code. It is usually not suggested using rpm to upgrade your kernel.

And what exactly did you do and what message has been left there? As I recall, after you install the src.rpm package, there will not be anything in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory. There will be a spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, you will have to rpmbuild to make the rpm file and it will be defaultly created in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/ directory.

Cheer,