Find the answer to your Linux question:
Would I basically have Fedora core 2 then? What would be the easiest way to upgrade the kernel?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it possible to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel Fedora core 1?

Would I basically have Fedora core 2 then? What would be the easiest way to upgrade the kernel?

Linux Newbie
    If you really don't want to spend so much time to configure, compile, and learn, just use apt. You can easily install a new kernel in no harm situation. Check out this apt website: http://www.freshrpms.net

Great site.

Linux Engineer
    i would suggest you to do it manually..just download the newest stable kernel grom http://kernel.org and then install it using the guides you'll find there or in the net.
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Ok, I will look into both options. Thanks guys!

but to answer the question about if you upgrade the kernel will you have core 2. the answer is no. cause there is patches and more other stuff to make the rest of the system better that the fedora team did. they dont create the kernel all they do is create the os wrapper per say so you would still be running core 1 but with a new kernel
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_k105
    but to answer the question about if you upgrade the kernel will you have core 2. the answer is no. cause there is patches and more other stuff to make the rest of the system better that the fedora team did. they dont create the kernel all they do is create the os wrapper per say so you would still be running core 1 but with a new kernel
    Ok, thanks... I think I will hold off as I start my linux class this Saturday.

Linux Engineer
    big_k105 is right ....with installing the new kernel does not mean that you change all the version to be similar to 2.kde should be the old one and the libraries too...for upgrading your system you should install fedora core 2 .and you won't have to compile the kernel manually(more dangerous).
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stathisx
    big_k105 is right ....with installing the new kernel does not mean that you change all the version to be similar to 2.kde should be the old one and the libraries too...for upgrading your system you should install fedora core 2 .and you won't have to compile the kernel manually(more dangerous).
    Ok, thanks.