Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I would like to resize the main partition of FC3 (ext3) but I can't find any tool with ability to do it. I have dualboot with WinXP and I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Resizing FC3 ext3 disk

Hi, I would like to resize the main partition of FC3 (ext3) but I can't find any tool with ability to do it. I have dualboot with WinXP and I've tried PQMagic 8 - it can't resize ext3. Any sugestions? Is there sth in Linux what can help me (what can use it eg. from Knoppix to resize FC3 disk)?

Linux Engineer
    try to download qtparted from here.it's a partition magik clone for linux :
    http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/
    Linux For Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by stathisx
    try to download qtparted from here.it's a partition magik clone for linux :
    http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/
    I see on the webpage that it doesn't have ability to resize ext3

Linux Engineer
    if you are using windows can't you use partition magik to resize windows partition (increase it )so linux partition to be decreased?
    Linux For Ever!

No, my point is to decrease the size of WinXP (I did it win PQMagic 8 - NTFS) and increase the size for FC3 (ext3) - the 2nd step is problem cos PQMagic doesn't support ext3 and qtparted as well

Just Joined!

Options

If you'd like to resize the partition with Partition Magic, first disable the journaling of the ext3 partition to make it an ext2 partition. Then resize. Then create a new journal.

To do this, unmount the partition you wish to resize (if it is the root partition, boot from a rescue disc or telinit into single user mode). Use tune2fs to disable journaling (I think the command is tune2fs -O ^has_journal $PARTITION where $PARTITION is the name/location of your partition). When you are done resizing with Partition Magic, reboot into a shell that has access to the unmounted partition and tune2fs -O has_journal $PARTITION will make the partition ext3 again.

Tune2fs works without incident. Partition Magic is more troublesome and occassionally throws an error and screws up the whole partition table. My problems with PM seem to be independent of the file system type.

As mentioned above, another option is parted (and I assume that qtparted is a gui for parted): but you lose the convenience of being able to relocate the start of the partition.

-Jean