Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I need to know if there is any difference in performance between (i) a 32bit application running on a 64 bit Redhat AS 5.0, and (ii) a 64 bit ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Performance/overhead: 32 bit application on 64 bit Redhat AS 5.0

Hi,

I need to know if there is any difference in performance between (i) a 32bit application running on a 64 bit Redhat AS 5.0, and (ii) a 64 bit application running on 64 bit Redhat AS 5.0. Will there be any extra overhead in any of the two cases?

I am new to this..
    Can someone please help.

Thanks
    Ananya

The only performance hit will be that you won't be able to access the huge memory that 64 bit offers -- although 32 bit memory access is easily enough for almost all applications out there.

Other than that -- no, I don't think there will be any performance hits.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the prompt response.

So do you know if the 64 bit Redhat (AS v 5.0) converts the 32 bit instructions to 64 bit instruction, before running the 32 bit application on it?

If it does, then I would guess that may have some overhead right?

Thanks,
    Ananya

the 64 bit proc is mostly for the extra memory registers that are available, you shouldn't experience any noticeable performance hit executing 32 bit apps on a 64 bit OS, I currently run 64 bit version of ubuntu and run 32 bit windows applications on it and they run the same as they did on my 32 bit installation of debian