Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I got fedora core 2 on 4 discs and im going to partition my hard drive for an XP/Linux Dual boot. I already have XP installed and i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok, help with partition help

Ok I got fedora core 2 on 4 discs and im going to partition my hard drive for an XP/Linux Dual boot. I already have XP installed and i want to keep all my XP files and XP itself. Tell me how I can partition my harddrive without deleting my existing xp files. Im using partition magic.

Thx in advance

Linux Newbie
    Easy, use PQ to resize your harddrive.

Linux Engineer
    you can use partition magik in windows to make space for linux and then boot the pc ,install linux in that partition you made and install a boot loader..after installation of linux restart and select which os you want to start
    good luck!!!
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    ok that would help if I knew what a PQ was...lol

stathisx I use partition magic and create a partition for linux (5gig) then reboot start windows then install linux. I now install linux, during the installation i will install it on the new partition i used with partition magic.

that helps ALOT

now all I need to know is if XP will boot after I vreate the 5gig partition for linux.

I sound noobish but I want to be really careful this is the entire familys computer (dads office, sisters aim and e-mail)

yes, the step you need to be careful of is the one where you select partitions to install on. Make those 5G that you left open RAW or basicaly, delete that partition, then inster teh 1st cd, and reboot. follow the instructions to install. If you have any questions along the way hit us up, and I will make an exception to the usual rule of never e-mail for help. If you are short on time (i know the feeling, something not working and family wants the computer) then e-mail me a link to the post, and i will stop by asap,
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    partitionink is easy....redhat/fedora uses i think diskdruid for managing partitions...it has a graphic that shows the partitions ,where the program has putted / partition ,filesystem information and other things like that..don't be afraid of these it's easy..
    if any problems occur post!!
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    hoho, I don't know why I keep using the term PQ while I mean partition magic, maybe it comes from powerquest, I guess.

Linux Engineer
    PQ stands for powerquest as you said (the company that made partiton magik).just get it and do all the things that we mentioned above!
    Linux For Ever!